How do i know my software is using the egpu?

I am using 

Macbook Pro  15, early 2011 , osX el captain, intel hd 3000, dgpu amd 6750M, 16gb ram

egpu - gigabyte AMD 7970 HD Gpu card

i was able to install it without any issue.

i have setup the external  monitor as primary

i don't see any gpu performance. when i put to rendering it use lots of cpu. and it takes even longer.

How do know Final Cut x or compressor is using my egpu for rendering?  what kind of test i can do?

thank you for your help

Edited by MohammedSayed

@Dschijn  thats a bad news , the only reason i have a egpu was to speed up the Final Cut rendering

what is the consequence if i haven't make the barrel plug and only using  akitio dc adapter to power up.

the cord of the barrel is too short thats why haven't  figure out to make a long one.

Edited by MohammedSayed

Using the AKiTiO PSU might end up in three ways:

- you are lucky an it is working

- one of your PSUs will blow up / or the electronics of the AKiTiO

- the GPU will constantly crash

The AKiTiO is way too weak and can cause ground loops. The risk of a not propperly working system is given and we try and preach here: Use a modded barrel plug and power the whole setup from a single 12V source!!!1111eleven

Since FC isn't even working with most cards by just adding them (e.g. in a classic MacPro) you need to do some modifications to the software! With an eGPU it might get even more tricky. You can keep trying, but I haven't read about any confirmed FC eGPU.