Akitio 2012 MBP TB1 Zotac GTX970 - Immediate crash under GPU load - Please help!

ule_1

Hey guys,

I thought I'd give the eGPU a go. Got everything installed and seems to be mostly working in windows 10, however, whenever I start up any 3D application/benchmark, the card/system crashes (with black/blue/green screen and audio looping). 

I have tried the card in a PC, works ok. Had the PSU (CM 550w) tested - ok. 

I can get the card to run on 640x480 res, but anything above that = instant crash.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Jay

Edited by ule_1
Type

21 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Huuuuuuh. Have installed all the latest driver? Bootcamp driver? Nvidia driver? can you run benchmarks? What happends if you monitor the GPU with GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner?

All the latest drivers, even installed the OS X patch to test in there to ensure it wasn't OS dependent. System crashes after 1 second heaven test in OS X, as it does in windows.

Afterburner and GPU-Z doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I also tried powering the Akitio with the standard power supply that comes with the unit.

I have attached a video of the behaviour. The test below crashed to a black screen, however it is sometimes green, purple, etc. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxjEaWeXbHZwNTNVNVJLblpaN2M/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for your help Dschijn!

31 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Can you make a test in Windows with lowering the GPU power in MSI Afterburner as much as possible?
Also can you test another PSU?

I tried lowering all settings and the bench may have lasted a couple of seconds longer, but same result.

I'll see if I can find someone with a PSU that I can test with and post back my findings.

I went out and bought another PSU... System works perfectly. I guess the first one I bought was no good, even though it tested ok!

Thanks for your help Dschijn, greatly appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 1