Qosmio X505 BGA swap?

I have a question? I have a gtx 460m in a qosmio x505 1.5gb ddr5 and I have been doing some research and found the BGA for a GTX 560m BGA looks identical to the GTX 460M (Ball patterns are identical). The deference I noticed was that the gtx 560m has a higher shader core clock and core clock and requires 25 extra watts. As the GPU in the X505 isn't swappable. Is it possible to swap BGA's? Is there a certain hardware ID coded in the BGA of the GTX 560m that would restrict it to MXM style boards? I am not worried about the extra wattage, as I OC my gtx 460m to 560m specs with no problems. Benefits being no Qosmio X505 has a GTX 560m so it will make my laptop more valuable when I want to sell it. The added shader core. The extra OC speed for the GTX 560m. Is this possible?

It might work. A 460m vBIOS may or may not be able to run a 560m core. It would only really be an upgrade if the 460m is a GF106 core and the 560m a GF116. The GF11x cores clock around 10% higher than the GF10x cores. If you overclocked your card now vs a 560m assuming it has the later core, the 560m would clock around 10% higher on the core, and that's it.

Do you have any experience with changing BGA components? If not, just an FYI you will kill the first few boards and chips you try it on.

I have watched videos. I think I could bake it at 500 degrees for 15 min. remove the old bga flux the base and copper braid swipe the core base area to remove old solder and reapply flux set new bga and hot glue the four corners and re bake at 500 degrees and let it cool and see what happens? Is the Vbios onboard or in the BGA itself? I have tried flashing the GTX 460m with 560m vbios but no success.. The format of the connection is a totally custom connection not MXM 3.0. I have looked at the pictures and the reball paterns are identical but I haven't physically seen it to know whether it is the same size? Thanks for the reply..

• 2 weeks later...

It's not as simple as just baking at a fixed temperature. 500 is too hot. You want to just barely go over the solder's melting point, or else the chip's packaging may be destroyed. Ovens tend to overshoot their target temperature when heating up, which can kill the chip's packaging too. You also need to make sure you drive out all moisture from the chip's packaging prior to going to high temp, or else it will bubble and be destroyed. You also need to heat components fairly evenly, or again the chip's packaging will die. If you heat too slow to heat evenly though, then your solder flux can burn too much, forming a barrier between BGA balls and the board, preventing them from connecting. There is no solder flux that does not burn at unleaded solder's melting point, which you must reach even if using unleaded solder balls to form a strong connection with residue unleaded solder on the board.

Also any radial electrolytic caps on the board will not be able to withstand oven temperatures high enough to melt solder and must be replaced. Plastic such as connectors and the CPU socket will be fine.

Working with modern hardware which has unleaded solder is very tedious to avoid destroying anything.