Help with P170EM/NP9170 beeping and restart! Any ideas?

GunnerKes

I'm thinking it's fan rpm signal lost because it's definitely speeding up as it should...if it's either of the above, how would I go about fixing? Updated to latest prema bios an all.

I just test it 90% it is temp signal lost but when the problem starts with your laptop ? With integrated gpu everything works fine

Ok, running games on Intergrated, its fine, no beeping or shut downs...If I push FN+1 then fans go full and everything is fine.

Its like the GPU is giving a false temp or something like prema said :

- GPU/CPU too hot

- CPU/GPU temp signal lost

- FAN rpm too low

- FAN rpm signal lost

Im ruling out CPU temp probs as it doesn't happen using intergrated gfx.

GPU signal lost - possibly because the max temp I'm getting before the lights and beeping is at 69-75 degrees - surely this shouldn't be a problem?

How would I test Fan RPMs being too low or signal lost?

Im using open hardware monitor but even in game the GPU FAN RPM is at 0

Im no expert but would you guys say its probably a false fan RPM reading? They're definitely running and the GPU temp seems ok. Is there any way to disable the EC controller alarm or something similar.

Cheers for your help.

OK now this is getting weird... If I start a game/benchmark or whatever and then use FN+1 to put all fans to max. I don't get any error beeping or shut down!

If I just allow the laptop to control the fans itself then as soon as the max speeds kick in, the beeping starts... This is so weird. Ive made a pic showing my actions as its easier than explaining. Does anyone have any ideas?!

Thanks in advance xpost-37884-14495001031885_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone? :(

post-37884-14495001031496_thumb.jpg

Some news

I uinstall nvidia drivers

- remove gpu and turn on laptop with beeps and shut down

- plug the gpu install drivers

Now I can run benchmark and games without problems

But strange things when i close benchmark.... temp are going down to about 50 degrees and beeps ....

Gpu is broken ?

Update to the latest Intel GPU driver manually. There are GPU switching problems with older versions that may also be the cause of this short interruption in temp readings.

Also maybe the FANs need cleaning as they don't spin up fast enough without FN + 1?!

Ta for the reply. The fans do speed up but from the monitoring, I can see the RPM of the GPU fans are going higher than when I push FN+1...This is what is causing the alarm I think. Seems like the default RPM speed when the laptop is controlling, seems to be set too high. See the diagram? This better explains... You can see the RPM is slightly higher than when I push FN+1.post-37884-14495001033148_thumb.jpg

Ta for the reply. The fans do speed up but from the monitoring, I can see the RPM of the GPU fans are going higher than when I push FN+1...This is what is causing the alarm I think. Seems like the default RPM speed when the laptop is controlling, seems to be set too high. See the diagram? This better explains... You can see the RPM is slightly higher than when I push FN+1.[ATTACH=CONFIG]16378[/ATTACH]

Hmmm i fix my problem now i dont have any beeps and shutdown you need to try unplug gpu and running without it. are you using windows 10 ?

sorry ... i was thinking that everthing works but no.... after 1 hour of playing with full fan speed my laptop beeeps ;/ i dont now where is the problem ;/

Update to the latest Intel GPU driver manually. There are GPU switching problems with older versions that may also be the cause of this short interruption in temp readings.

Also maybe the FANs need cleaning as they don't spin up fast enough without FN + 1?!

i update drivers and sill beeps

my fans spin like that

post-39908-14495001096293_thumb.jpg

What i can try to do ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, here is a short update from my fan problem. I get this beeps because of a not starting fan or lower than 500rpm.

Here is my new strategy to avoid this beeps:

1. Start a nvidia GPU required application ... wait for GPU temperature > 50°C, Fan shoud jump in, but to slow or not at all.

2. Close nvidia GPU required application (Temp info is going away, but it's normal) and wait a few minutes that the nvidia GPU temperature drop back to < 40°C (Fan stop temperature).

3. Start a nvidia GPU required application again, nvidia GPU temp reach 50°, Fan kick in with normal speed ~2000rpm and will increase if GPU temp is increasing.

Shutdown and Reboots solve the same problem only with a possibility of 50%:50%

- MRAlien

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now i have updated my Bios from Stock to the last Prema Mod Version and upgraded my system to Windows 10 with a clean install. 

I thought i had solved the problem since one week, but the problem is still present after a cold deep start (not resuming from hibernation).

But if i have the problem that my GPU fan is only running slowly then i can't force the fan with FN+1.

If the fan stops then the FN+1 works again. If everything is fine then FN+1 works also with a running fan.