7970m black screen

hello my friends!

i have this m18x laptop with two 7970m's. verything was normal i was browsing web. then i wanted to play some games, so i started a game.. and got a freeze. i restarted, windows logo popped up... freeze.

after that i went to safety mode, and uninstalled intel graphics and amd graphics drivers with a tool. reinstalled again, starting from intel graphics drivers, i got past windows logo. but after a few seconds on desktop.. blue screen.

after a few times of reinstall with different drivers and a bunch of blue screens like: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA i tried switching off 1 graphics card at a time..

well it worked and after switching that card back i now get a black screen all the time.. no blue screens anymore. obviously i got a faulty card

so my questions are: has anybody experienced the same issue as me and what did you guys do at this point?

hello my friends!

i have this m18x laptop with two 7970m's. verything was normal i was browsing web. then i wanted to play some games, so i started a game.. and got a freeze. i restarted, windows logo popped up... freeze.

after that i went to safety mode, and uninstalled intel graphics and amd graphics drivers with a tool. reinstalled again, starting from intel graphics drivers, i got past windows logo. but after a few seconds on desktop.. blue screen.

after a few times of reinstall with different drivers and a bunch of blue screens like: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA i tried switching off 1 graphics card at a time..

well it worked and after switching that card back i now get a black screen all the time.. no blue screens anymore. obviously i got a faulty card

so my questions are: has anybody experienced the same issue as me and what did you guys do at this point?

Black/Blue screens may often be caused by bad drivers aswell but your error messenge isnt encouraging. You probably got a fault card yes. The question is, did you overlock it in any way? The 7970-cards are quite resilient but you could always get unlucky. My dual 7970-card setup had one of the cards die a year after purchase (heavy overclock, vBIOS/Voltage-mod etc) and the 2nd card died another year after that.

so for anyone who is going to find this thread and wondering what happened:

i work as a "systems informatics technician" (systeminformatiker auf deutsch) so we got this machine at work called "ersa PL550" and what i basically did was putting some soldering flux at the sides of the processing unit of the 7970 and reflowed it with the ersa machine slowly rising to 235°C.

the card is working FOR NOW, lets hope it will work a little longer ;)