Visual difference between GTX 980M 4GB & 8GB

marteng

Hello,

I recently purchased a new GTX 980M 8GB for my Clevo P150EM. Now I'm trying to install the drivers successfully. But my first question:

Can you tell me, how to differentiate visually the 8GB from the 4GB version?

The mxm card has the PCI-ID: 10DE:13D7

Thank you.

Martin

Hello marteng,

in my opinion you dont need the 8 GB VRAM because with an GTX 980M you can play in 1080p or 1440p - not 4k.

(Higher resolution => More VRAM)

If you wanna play in 4k you will need an desktop-pc with an high-end graphicskard (GTX 980).

Best regards

HeAdHuNtErGER

Thank you for your awnsers. I didn't know that the capacity of the memory chips is fixed so that you can determine the VRAM from the numbers of RAM chips.

I'm in need for the 8GB version not for gaming. I'm doing GPU rendering with really complex scenes so the additional VRAM is a must. I know of professional quadro cards, but this laptop installation is a proof-of-concept to estimate the possibilities and advantages of GPU rendering. There are no desktop cards under $1000 with that much ram that I know of.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> GPU GTX 980 GTX 980M

Family Maxwell Maxwell

Manufacturing process 28nm 28nm

GPU base clock 1126MHz 1038MHz

GPU maximum clock 1216MHz 1127MHz

Memory 4GB GDDR5 4 or 8GB GDDR5

Memory speed 1753MHz 1253MHz

Memory bus width 256-bit 256-bit

Memory bandwidth 224.4 GB/s 160 GB/s

CUDA Cores 2048 1536

Texture units 128 96

ROPs 64 64

Digital Resolution 4096 x 2160 3840 x 2160

Performance +30% slower

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->