y410p vs y40-70

Bbbegone

Question

Hi just bought a y410p off ebay. It's running great, except it came with a fresh install of windows 8.1 instead of a factory install. I have a few issues and concerns that I'm trying to work out with the seller. Just wondering it would be more worth it to get the recovery disks from Lenovo or just return it and get a brand new y40-80 straight from Lenovo. I originally got the y410p because I read that it has a better processor.

4 answers to this question

i was also choosing between the two, but i got a 2nd hand y410p because i needed the more powerful processor for 3dcad apps. and im very happy with it. now im just trying to make the sli to work for a more powerful gpu. its up to you if you want a more lightweight laptop but a little sacrifice in performance.

I personally own the y510p and love it. I know it isn't the y410p, but same processor and video card. The processor is able to handle everything I throw at it and using the single video card is okay (not great).

For me I would try to stay with the y410p simply because I hate AMD driver support. I have a HP laptop that uses an AMD video card and every time I need to update the driver something goes wrong. Usually it simply doesn't update, but there isn't any notification.

For the processor comparison you can look here Intel Core i7 5500U vs 4700MQ . Other than battery life the 4700MQ is better by a fair amount.

I have the y410p as well, i would recommend going with the y410p as stated by cheezecowboy, it has the better cpu as the y40-70 is only equiped with a ULV processor. So your processor would turn out to be a botttleneck. In terms of graphics performance, the r275M doesn't have a significant advantage over the 750m.

I'm just wondering, why not get the y50-70 instead? it has a full fledged processor, a more powerful gpu (860M); its thin; and since its bigger; it should have better cooling options.

Also, just to mention, if you need to reinstall, you can just download an unmodified windows 8.1 and put it in your win8key (which is bios embedded btw); and you have a clean install windows 8.1. If you need a working novo button, you can just download the okr 8 engineering edition iso and use it to initialize your harddrive before clean installing the windows 8.1.