ME FW version and IME

Hello, I have a question for you experts.

In my Bios, I have ME FW version 9.1.1.1000 and I have IME version 9.5.23.1766 installed.

Do these two things have to match? Are they even related?

Is there a way to find out what version of ME FW I'm supposed to have installed? My Keyboard backlight stopped working when I started messing around with installing different Bios and EC's and I'm trying to figure out if the version of the ME firmware has something to do with it. Note my sig has my Laptop info.

Thanks for any guidance.

Don't ever mess around with BIOS flashing if you don't need to. Only update/change your BIOS if there is a need.

ME and IME are related, but not the same thing.

ME FW - Management Engine Firmware. It's an intel specific firmware that lives in the chipset. It deals with controlling some parts of the CPU on on hardware level. The ME FW controls overclocking limits, for example.

IME - Intel Mangement Engine Components. This is the system driver for the engine. It allows the system to control the hardware on a software level.

Don't mess with different versions of the BIOS and EC. The EC is the Embedded Controller Firmware, controlling the interface between your keyboard/touchpad/etc and the operating system. In CLEVO systems it usually interoperates with the BIOS. If you mismatch the BIOS and EC (Older BIOS, newer EC) - you could brick your laptop. That is probably the reason why your backlight stopped working.

Yeah, basically I went to Prema's Bios (which was a upgrade from what I had) then from there I when back to latest stock which was a upgrade from Prema's version so I actually never went down in versions, but still..

Anyway thanks for the info.. Its possible I need to replace my keyboard as I may have messed something up when I took it off when I reset my cmos, but not sure as I was very careful.

Ive looked twice but I think I will try removing and reinserting the cables this time to be sure.

Judging by MrTwisT post I assume that the EC is directly responsible for the keyboard backlight? Also, Eurocom provided the Bios and EC I am now using. They are separate files. Do you think it matters whether I use Eurocom or Clevo's Bios?

Eurocom does not have their own bios, vbios ec or whatever versions. They're just a clevo reseller, and a rather nasty one if you ask me.

I'm not familiar with your system, the EC may be related to the keyboard backlight, but the bios could be just as well. I noticed that in many Asus systems it is easy to kill keyboard backlight when flashing a modified bios the wrong way. Can be restored though.

Do you have a dump of your original bios?

No but I may be able to request it. Technically Eurocom is not my reseller, they were WAY too expensive compared to other resellers who offered the same thing, but I ordered a 120hz screen and my reseller (HIDevolution) ran out so they ordered one from Eurocom.. and they sent the whole main laptop so through proxy I kinda ended up having to deal with them (Eurocom)

Anyway this is where I got my Bios from:

Index of /support/drivers/models/X8

So I just assumed it was their Bios as it add's their ugly Eurocom splash screen.

The original Bios was 4 versions behind the one I'm using now. Do you think that would be safe to go backwards like that?

Thanks for your time and advice man.

You could try flashing the latest official Clevo BIOS and EC (sometimes you need to flash the EC first to avoid a brick, but you need to confirm for your model).

I searched around and saw one of the instructions specified you need to have a specific version of EC before updating to the later one. I would do some more research to see how to properly get to the latest BIOS and EC state for your model.