EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
zakken

Upgrading my Alienware m7x R3

Hi :)

I have for 6 months now been trying to upgrade my laptop :S there is SO much information and i feel way overwhelmed...

I have now:

Processor: Intel® Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz <---- will this be a bottleneck, or is it good enough?

Memory: 16384MB RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M

my m17x R3 have 3D, and I like it, but if i HAVE to I can sacrifice it.... :(

So far i have figured out that i want to upgrade my:

- HDD - I have two hdd in raid with only 600mb space..I want one of these two SSDs ---> Samsung 840 Basic EVO SSD (Bulk) - 500GB OR Samsung 850 PRO SSD - 512GB. And for HDD somthing like this (or maybe just this one) WESTERN DIGITAL HDD Green 2TB 2.5.

I have also read that my r3 has a mSATA port under the keyboard, should i have one more small ssd (like this one SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO 120GB) for cache in that one? Wil these components fit??

- GPU - Im stuck here. I want the best one i can possably fit in my alienware m17x r3! I need help here.

- RAM - i can upgrade this as well if i need to, but again i need help to find one that wil fit :)

- Heatsink/thermal paste - Do I need a new one of one of these??

I live in Norway, so it should not be a problem to get parts

Thank you in advance :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Andrew2009
      Please could you check if it is possible to unlock my A17 BIOS? I have Alienware 17 R5(2013). 120 Ghz 3D. gtx 980 m. I want upgrade to 1070 but I have dark picture. Turns on but does not start with 1070. 980m-All good. What could it be?
    • By Aun
      I am trying to find unlocked bios for overclocking but i cannot find it from a few days please someone help in me. its for my alienware 17 r3 with 970m and i7 6700hq.

my dumped gpu bios

i would really appreciate your help!

and btw rn i OCed thru msi after burner core clock +135 and memory clock +250.

cpu gpuz pic
      gpu pic

• By IveGotRoot
      I have recently upgraded my laptop(an M6800 firepro 6100) and replaced it with an GTX 980m. Nvidia says that the latest driver(461) supports my card but i can only install up to 388.13 Ive tried to mod it but i can't figure it out. I can run the latest linux driver tho
    • By pippocarlot
      Hello everyone! I am looking for an answer to a problem I cannot find a solution to ... I purchased an Amd wx 4150 MXM GPU module su e bay to upgrade my HP 8570W Mobile Workstation which is currently equipped with a Fire Pro M4000. Once the new GPU has been installed, the PC screen no longer turns on but works only with external monitors connected via the docking station. The same happens once the drivers are updated! If I put the old card back on, the integrated monitor starts working again ... How can I fix it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.