Upgrading GTX660M M17XR4

domycatlol

Hi, I have M17XR4 and I am thinking to upgrade the GPU to something much better like GTX680M or 700,800 series. Do you know what I should prepared to install this new GPU? Also right now it cannot detect the GTX660M, I hope by buying new GPU can solve that problem.

I don't personally own an Alienware. I would love to. But as for upgrading to a new GPU. I know Alienware gives that feature for their laptops, I guess what you would need is bravery, some knowledge in hardware and the right tools. as for unscrewing the back, removing parts etc. I know there are many guides out there for upgrading GPU in Alienware. Take a look around. I've seen some full videos on upgrading GPU's in AW laptops and they looks pretty simple tbh. Good luck.

Hi domycatlol, i personaly own an mx17 r4, i have upgraded the gpu from a dead gtx 675 to an gtx770 (the only gpu i could afford at that time), you will need for the job:

1. A new gpu, high end series 780, 880, 980, if you can afford, preferably with the x bracket in place if possible. keep in mind you will need a dell or clevo MXM board only.

2.Follow the guide from here to place and repaste your board. http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/197-m17x-r3-cpu-gpu-re-pasting-guide-w-pics.html

3 Follow the guide from here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/5328-m17xr4-upgrade-gpu-gtx770m.html to learn how to unlock your bios to enable the gpu.

4.You will need the moded inf driver for your future gpu.

hi domycatlol, in addition to the above, there are 2 more things that you need: a triple-pipe gpu heat sink, and a 330W adapter.

the triple-pipe gpu heat sink is good to have a decent temperature of 75+ c under load. you can use the same heat sink for 780m/880m or even 980m later. a 330W adapter is optional but it can deliver more power to the machine, and it's less stress to the adapter itself. (this is especially good when you started to put more hardware parts to the machine)