New guy with a cyberpowerpc

Hello everyone!

Well, I am new to tech inferno, I'm excited to broaden my knowledge here.

I have recently picked up a cyberpowerpc fangbook hx7.

Is there anyone with experience with these? i.e. flashing vbios etc. I haven't really noticed much throttling, but I am no expert on this. It performs very well in all games, been running ultra settings in every new game at at least 40 fps or more albeit in far cry 4 those frames are only achieveable with ambient occlusion off and even then there is a slight bit of microstuttering.. gpu temps dont pass 75 with the turbo fan on. I use MSI afterburner to do a small +45mhz core overclock because I read somewhere that the GPU has some sort of bricking when trying to overclock too much. maybe I am just paranoid and dumb.

The specs are i7-4810mq 2.8ghz (3.8ghz turbo)

windows 8.1 64bit

Nvidia GTX880m 8gb drivers are at 344.75

16gb ram with room for 16gb more

hitachi 1 tb 7200 rpm

Crucial 120gb ssd.

Did I buy a bad notebook? I got it from newegg for 1500 open box. I was planning on possibly upgrading the gpu to the 980m in the future if it's even possible.

Well, you certainly didn't buy a bad notebook. I have the Battalion MSI MS-1771-1 ultra thin laptop.

Core i7 4700HQ turbo boost to 3.6GHz (overclocked by .2Ghz)

GTX765M stock

8GB 1600MHz RAM (I'd like to add in another 4GB or 8GB stick!)

1TB HDD

I think? 60GB SSD cache? Not sure how to access it..

Picked this up when I was in America last year in November for 1600. I'd like to upgrade the GPU or memory sometime soon but not sure where to pick up those parts.

As for your flash, stupid question but did you check your vBios matches with vBios flash file?

I do know that the GTX880M cards aren't really stable on overclocking. I do know that some people have successfully flashed their card and run good speeds on their cards, but each card, even if its one 880M to another 880M works differently.

Thanks for the reply!

What do you mean by matching? There were only a few different characters when I was flashing it using nvflash . but I did choose the one that he specified was for the 880m.

My problem now is that I was seeing throttling of the GPU in some games so like an idiot I boosted the core clock too high and it crashed, now the GPU doesn't even want to hit 954mhz while I'm gaming. I would really love to be able to flash the vbios but I can't get it to work.

Well I've been diligent in my research. Stumbled upon some modded inf drivers and installed those after retrying flashing the vbios and it worked!!

The base clock speeds are up to 993MHz from 954, and with overclock there is no throttling. Testing a slight overclock to 1000mhz and voltage up slightly as well. Temps are a steady 80 celsius after about an hour of watch_dogs which is comfortable for me.

I guess my notebook is MSI based, which explains why when I search for cyberpowerpc notebook info there isn't much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13206[/ATTACH]

Well I've been diligent in my research. Stumbled upon some modded inf drivers and installed those after retrying flashing the vbios and it worked!!

The base clock speeds are up to 993MHz from 954, and with overclock there is no throttling. Testing a slight overclock to 1000mhz and voltage up slightly as well. Temps are a steady 80 celsius after about an hour of watch_dogs which is comfortable for me.

I guess my notebook is MSI based, which explains why when I search for cyberpowerpc notebook info there isn't much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13206[/ATTACH]

i used 3dmark11 on extreme and repeated a scene for hours tto test for a basic 24/7 overlock for 880m and you might get 1020mhz@ 1v only for core with stock vram. This runs extremely cool for me and was happy only 1v. Of course it could be little higher on 1v but this was under heavy high heat load so 1020mhz was fully stable at 1v. if you add vram you usually have to retest as the core would be able to process a little faster with higher vram it can increase volt requirements for same core speed.

my system is Alienware 18 880m sli for reference