Alienware 17 GPU upgrade

Orby

it depends on which gpu you're after. imo i don't think you need an unlocked bios if you are upgrading with a dell gpu (gtx 780m/880m), but you might need one if you go beyond that (e.g. 980m). additionally, you also need a more powerful AC adapter (240W).

I would also like to know if I can upgrade mine as there is not much on the new Alienware 14 , I would like to go from my GTX 765M to maybe a GTX 970M or GTX 980M (When it come out & considering the power / wattage and heat-sinks support it ), if not i can upgrade to the Alienware 17 as may friend has one and i can pay him the difference.

So if there's a dell 980m, I don't need an unlocked bios right?

if the up-coming dell bios allows the upgrade, then there should be no issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also like to know if I can upgrade mine as there is not much on the new Alienware 14 , I would like to go from my GTX 765M to maybe a GTX 970M or GTX 980M (When it come out & considering the power / wattage and heat-sinks support it ), if not i can upgrade to the Alienware 17 as may friend has one and i can pay him the difference.

afaik the gpu is soldered on the mobo for aw14. the better bet is to get aw17. however, it's better to double check if 980m is supported or not first. if it's not we will need modded bios.

previously i tried to put a 880m in my r4. the results were unstable, so i switched back to 680m. for r4 i guess the better upgrade is 780m. (well, as of now)

• Thumbs Up 2