MS1762 Problems Upgrading to 780M

inukai

Hello everyone. I have a PowerPro R 12:17-680 (MS 1762 is what it says in the BIOS so I assume that's what it really is.)

My troubles started a few months ago when I was in a game and my laptop just shut off. I tried to turn it on but it acted like something was shorted out. When I hit the power button the lights would come on for a second and then go off again. During my basic troubleshooting I removed my GPU and my laptop turned on and booted up running on the integrated graphics. When it loaded into an operating system (Ubuntu or Windows 7) the fan would kick on 100% like I had hit the TurboFan button. I delt with this until I decided to look at what these cards went for online. I got a good deal on a 780M and noted that my heatsink should be sufficient for it. When I put the new card in my laptop it booted without any loud fans but when I loaded Windows the resolution was set to 640x480 and the color depth was very low (almost looked like 256 or 16-bit). Ubuntu still loaded at a full 1920x1080 but neither OS would install the drivers properly. Windows wouldn't detect the card and Ubuntu stuck itself to a 640x480 resolution with no way to change the res. I did a little bit more research and someone with a similar problem was suggested to flash the vBios with an MSI one. I did (after backing up my stock one) and Windows finally detected my card. However when I rebooted my computer after doing a clean install of the video card drivers Windows hung at login. I think there's a problem with GeForce Experience so I'm going to try to uninstall it but if anyone else could give some advice that would be great.

Thanks for the help

EDIT: This is what GPU-z says when I boot without a driver and let it install before rebooting.

post-28991-14494998205244_thumb.gif

I didn't think the 780 would take that much more power than the 680. The transformer is a 19.5V 9.2A. For what it's worth, the computer will boot and run very sluggishly if I disable all of the startup applications in msconfig. Also I got the wifi working, the drivers just got screwed up somewhere.