Getting nodded y510p repaired? Advice needed!

ggrrqq

BTW, I made a typo on the title of this post. I meant to say modded. Damn autocorrect.

So I have a y510p that I flashed svl7's modded bios onto and replaced the wireless card to a 7260. It has had a physical defect since I bought it, but I haven't been able to get it serviced. I'm going to be going out of town for a few days, so now would be a good time to get it serviced under warranty.

My question is: will lenovo notice my nodded bios and WiFi chip?

I put a password on the bios so they can't access it or see the version, but can they see it from the OS?

Has anyone else had their modded laptop serviced?

Smart of you to set a BIOS password. No they won't be able to see that it's modded from within the OS. But if they ask for the password, don't give it to them. ;)

I'd remove your 7260 and replace the stock one before shipping it out. If the techs replace the mobo or the whole laptop, you'll never get your nice aftermarket WiFi card back. This goes for any other upgrades you've installed. Some draconian warranty policies even go so far as to deny you service if they see that you've made any aftermarket upgrades to your laptop.

I've sent in two Y500's for service that were modded. I flashed back the stock sBIOS and vBIOS before shipping it out. I'd advise you to do the same, as well as removal of the aforementioned wireless card, to avoid any potentially sticky situations.