MS-16F1 (GT660, GX660 or GX740) PCIe limit in GPU-z

Bugii

Hello,

Could any of you guys who has MSI 16F1 post a screenshgot from GPU-Z while running render test ?

No matter what card I try, it's still stuck at PCIe 1.1

I've tried HD5870m, HD7970m, GTX570m, GTX580m, GTX770m.

GPU utilization NEVER reaches 99%, not even 80%. - not even during render test!

I've tried to clean the PCIe port in laptop. using unlocked bios.

Might it be caused by CPU ? first gen i5 460M. - I dont think it should bottleneck cards like GTX570M or 580M

post-12643-14494997884252_thumb.jpg

Could you please post me a picture of yours ?

What CPU do you have? Mine is i5 460M

Or at least tell me if it's running at pcie2.0 and reaches 99% gpu load on yours.

All GPUs working fine in different notebook. (1761 with i7 2630qm)

according to ark.intel i5 460m supports pcie 2 1x16. i7 720qm supports pcie2.0 1x16, 2x8 - is this difference ?

I'm trying to find out whats the problem here.

If it's motherboard, you will notice that too probably. (unless mine is broken)

If its CPU, I'll replace it. - please let me know what CPU are you using. I'd like to avoid buying 920xm ... probably 720qm if anyone can confirm its working fine.

Thanks in advance!

http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/5673-16f1-gtx-675m-stuck-pcie-1-1-a-2.html#post80411

other than 920xm OC to around 3ghz is garbage

gpu load but you showing average 54% or im wrong - check graph that shows near full , of cours gpu-z not must create 99% gpu usage because that's not their job

Thats the whole problem.. its 54% its NEVER 99% no matter if I run Crysis 3 on extreme or prince of persia 1.

GPUZ can stress my GTX770m to 99%. Thats the whole point of that render test.

920xm is garbage anyway, im trying to awoid paying 250 eur for one garbage if I can get another garbage for 50eur that will solve PCIe problem.

Anyone with this old laptop can please check in gpuz and let me knwo whats their cpu ?

Do you try on clean system ? maybe something goes wrong when too much reinstalling drivers between nvidia/amd ?

did that several times, format HDD and clean OS install.

btw I was swapping these cards in MSI 1761 and they are all working great, no driver related issue, so I doubt its software issue.

This and 1761, they are just different motherboards and CPU. I dont have different 1st gen core i based MSI.

I've ordered i7 720qm for a few bucks, lets see if the i5 is faulty. If it's the mobo, i'm screwed, I cant find working motherboard anywhere., not sure if 16F2 will fit in 16F1 chassis.

That's why I'm asking people to post a picture or at least confirm it's supposed to work.

I've seen people confirming 7970m works in their 16F1 but nobody said if it's bottlenecked or if it works just fine....

pci-e speed isn't bottlenecking card - and for 100% sure but IF bottlenecking gpu usage be always 99% not lower - pcie version isnt important 1.x/2.0

check eGPU topic - they use pci-e 2.0 but width x1 not x16 - they have real bottlenecking but still gpu usage in gpu-z will be showed 99%

maybe unlocked bios block something ? that's possible and even more than possible ;)

maybe for testing flash normal bios ?

for MB you can ask majster msi

pci-e speed isn't bottlenecking card - and for 100% sure but IF bottlenecking gpu usage be always 99% not lower - pcie version isnt important 1.x/2.0

check eGPU topic - they use pci-e 2.0 but width x1 not x16 - they have real bottlenecking but still gpu usage in gpu-z will be showed 99%

maybe unlocked bios block something ? that's possible and even more than possible ;)

maybe for testing flash normal bios ?

for MB you can ask majster msi

did that already, tried several stock BIOSes, as well as unlocked one. Also tried different EC firmware.

Too bad I dont have the stock GPU (5870m) to check if it was doing the same with that weak card.

if bottlenecked, it will be less than 99%, that I'm sure of.

I'm not saying pcie is bottlenecking the card, maybe its CPU. maybe it says pcie1.1 because it never reaches 99%load to switch to pcie2.0

Anyway, the problem remains, GPU will never reach its full load in this machine. I will try to reseat CPU this weekend, AFAIK pcie controller is in CPU.

Anyway, I saw a few people upgrading 1st gen core i machines to HD7970m ... if only any of them replied how it works :(

It's pretty sad that cards like 580M, 770M and 7970m are as powerful as GT555m in this machine ...

I've also bought i7 720qm, which is supposed to support 1x16 and 2x8 pcie configurations (i5 supports only 1x16) to see if that matters.

As I said earlier, I'm trying to avoid buying "xm" cpus, they are too expensive.

I dont think i5 or i7 should be bottleneck for card like 580M in the first place... its not that powerful card after all.

FIXED!

i7 720qm fixed the issue.

it looks like i5's integrated gpu is causing this.

with i7 720qm running at pci-e 2.0, 99% gpu load, gtx 675m is finally working to its full potential.