Dell 7970M stuck at 450/300

Hello

sorry for posting that thread again but i dont know which section is right for my problem

i have dell 7970m with dell vbios but my clocks locked at 450/300.

Is there a way to solve this problem ?

laptop is g73jh.

Thanks

If i edit vbios then can it work ?

The problem might be that non-dell laptops have problems reading temp sensors on dell AMD cards. Does the fan seem to react to rising gpu temps and does software read the temperature correctly?

I suppose you could edit the low-power 3d profile in vBIOS to have higher clocks. Bear in mind that this mode only runs at .9V, so you likely can't run it at the full 850MHz. Also if your laptop is not reading GPU temps then you will need to do manual fan control.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think fans work at full speed and no control of them. I can't change fan speed. But why did you say i cant make it work at only .9V? :(

I edited vbios like this 3d-850/1200 2d-(that was 300/150.825V) 800/1100 1.0V if i flash this then that's not gonna work ?

- - - Updated - - -

But yes i remember when i flashed a vbios i always saw .9V as you said. Do you have a suggestion for solving this ?

- - - Updated - - -

Temperatures were 30 C aroubd because it was so underclocked than normal clock speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for my dumb question but it doesnt have another gpu right ? If i edit 2d mode like i said above then it means forcing second gpu in it (if there's one) than main one.

Thank you for helping really helped me.

Appreciated.

If the fans are running full speed with no control, then that means the embedded controller, which is in charge of fan control, cannot read the card's temp sensor. This is common with dell AMD cards. Programs like gpu-z can still read the temperature because the driver bypasses the EC to read the temperature. Your options are to ditch the card for a clevo or MSI version, or edit the vbios to raise the low power 3d clocks. Bear in mind that since the temp sensor cannot be read by the EC, it's possible to kill the card through overheating.

You can raise the low-power 3d voltage in the vbios as well as the clocks if you want, just the default battery-mode 3d is .9V instead of the full-power 1.05V, so don't set the full 850MHz unless you also raise the voltage. Do not edit the 2d voltage or clocks, just the low-power 3d.

Your laptop does not have any integrated graphics. Your 7970m is the only gpu.

Also I never heard of replacing a GPU in an ASUS before. Usually people can't get standard mxm cards to physically fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for my unwise problem:( but i cant find low 3d clocks in vbios patcher rc 1 :(

It works 450/300 with powerplay (i didnt see these clocks at anywhere)

And works 300/150 without powerplay (these can changeable in vbios patcher also these are 2d in patcher)

I thought i can solve that with editing 2d clocks :(

I was thinking that for 2d 700/900 .9V

My intension is using % 80-90 of this card.

I modded my pc with copper and aluminium heatsinks and x-4 thermal paste i hope it doesn't get so hot because you said i can't see right temperatures :(

What is your suggestion?

I think HxD can do it but don't know what things i should change :(

Can you help me if i send you file ?(Maybe pm)

Many thanks for telling me these important informations because i think I'm gonna Flash my card tomorrow thanks i could kill the card if you wouldn't inform me.

clock editing instructions:

Your 3d low-power (3d on battery) clocks are 450mhz core, 300mhz memory. Since the memory voltage is not adjustable, it is always at 1.5V, and thus any power state can handle the full power 1200mhz.

How clocks are expressed in BIOS:

300MHz => 30000 (multiply by 100)

30000 => 007530 (convert to hex)

007530 => 307500 (convert to little endian)

imgur: the simple image sharer

I raised the memory to 900MHz, so we have the following:

900MHz => 90000 (multiply by 100)

90000 => 015F90 (convert to hex)

015F90 => 905F01 (convert to little endian)

I changed both locations. Probably only one has to be changed, but I did both since I wasn't sure which was used and which wasn't, and there would be no harm in changing an unused value.

Now we have to correct the checksum. This is called CRC in atiflash. You can check it quick with atiwinflash. Only use atiwinflash to check the CRC. Do not use it to flash on your system since you lack an IGP to boot off of in case the flash goes bad. The CRC for the vbios file I used needs to be 0x5700. If it's something like 0x574B, then you messed up and need to fix the checksum. If you are editing your original vBIOS, you might have a different CRC. Whatever it is, just make sure it is unchanged from before to after the mod.

Now since we changed 0x307500 to 0x905F01, we raised the CRC by 0x4B (0x90 + 0x5F + 0x01 - 0x30 - 0x75 - 0x00). Now remember this was done twice since there were 2 entries, so we raised the CRC by 2 * 0x4B, which is 0x96. We need to subtract 0x96 from padding to correct the CRC back to 0x5700.

0xFF - 0x96 = 0x69.

Changing the core should be an identical procedure. Since your voltage is only .9V, I would not go over 600-700MHz.

Here's what I used as a guide. Remember that this is for changing regular clocks and voltage, so what you need to do is a bit different. Also this is for clevo cards. The vbios files are not quite interchangeable.

[GUIDE] AMD HD7970M with Enduro vbios modify and flashing (For P1x0EM and etc)

I originally sent this as a PM, but am posting it in the thread as well since other people may be interested. I modified a dell 15.017 vbios file from svl7's dell 7970m vBIOS pack. I found Aikei's guide through a link from Nospheratu.

The 450/900 modified file:

https://mega.co.nz/#!WEoQVQrJ!51YHOTrpB_7rGj1a5qaN4v_Nhg5_SSH0kL2a3ULv_l4

This vBIOS cannot be used on win8 or win8.1 since it does not have UEFI support. It should be fine for all other operating systems.

I am leaving all further mods up to you. If you want me to check over your own attempt that is fine, but I'm not going to write 10+ vBIOS mods just for one person trying different clocks.

• 2 months later...

Happened to me, with the new driver. If the gpu usage is low it defaults to 450/300 in games such as dota 2. Just open msi afterburner after starting a game, overclock above 850/1200 such as 875/1300, alt tab back to game, then alt tab back out and downclock back to 850/1200. The clocks will stay until you restart even after closing msi afterburner.