SSD + USB3 caddy combination

Ixel

Hi all,

I have a question. I am considering going the SSD route, but prices remain fairly high still, especially UK retailers, so I am thinking of perhaps getting a 100-200GB size range SSD.

Well, firstly any recommendations for an SSD of that size range, not so fussed about performance as long as it beats my current hard drive (Seagate Momentus XT), which I'm sure most would due to their low response time for a starter.

Secondly, the question, I am going to use the Momentus XT in a USB3 caddy, but was wondering before I go ahead (in the next 1 hour or so before order cut off time) if it's worth doing. Will the speed of USB3 be good for running large games or files off the Momentus XT via a USB3 caddy?

Ixel - SSD types - Intel, Corsair, Samsung, Kingston, Zalman, etc... Speeds will vary and each person has their own brand preference based on performance history.

USB - I haven't tried the 3.0 drives yet but I know that i was able to play many games from my old USB 2.0 external drive that was 320gb 7200 rpm. I purchased an enclosure and made it myself. Games that have a lot if IO activity (frequent reads or writes) will run but you will notice a slight performance hit. From the articles I have read, the USB 3.0 seems to be about 3.5 times faster than 2.0 in real world activity. (regardless of what is advertised).

So you will be able to play games of the external enclosure, just a matter of choosing the heavy hitting games for the SSD and less demanding games like black ops, mw2, hl2, etc.. for the external.

Good Luck,

StevenX

Well I've made my order today instead, and after a bit more reading I've decided to buy the OCZ Vertex 2E 240GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive at £269.99 (special offer this week only). It should arrive via Royal Mail Special Delivery tomorrow (usually early morning for me).

• 2 weeks later...