M860etu CMOS battery

DiveDr

Hello to all,

I am the proud owner of a Clevo M 860 eTU which has served me well since somewhere around September of 2009. Although some may say the system is looking a bit long in the tooth it still turns out a window seven performance rating of 6.9 which for my purposes is more than acceptable. I recently began to experience some deterioration in the performance of the system. The system date would not maintain itself and some bios settings were not being retained. After troubleshooting the system the culprit was found to be a failing CMOS battery.

Changing the CMOS battery in this laptop proved an extensive task. It required an almost complete disassembly and removal of the cover of the laptop to access the CMOS battery. One should also be aware that this particular model has the battery glued directly to the main board with a two wire Molex connector the leads of which are spot welded to a CR 2032 3V lithium cell which is ensconced in insulating heat shrink wrap.

The Clevo service manual does not describe the procedure for replacing the battery. The nearest procedure described is one to access the modem, the battery is directly adjacent to the modem underneath the top cover of the laptop. If you should decide to undertake this task be prepared to gently pry the CMOS battery from the main board with a small plastic knife or other nonconducting implement so as not to damage the tracings on the mainboard. You will also need to replace the battery with a similar unit (leads and Molex connector attached) or as I did gently pry the leads off the original battery and reattach them to the new battery utilizing epoxy resin to hold the leads in place and heat shrink wrap to insulate the battery and connections from the motherboard. To glue the battery back in place I recommend nonconducting silicon aquarium adhesive.

If anybody needs the service manual which details the disassembly instructions to get to the modem (in this case the battery) PM me and I will post it for you.

Hope this is of benefit and best regards to all.