Ideapad y510p, Unable to change Secure boot mode

bunkmaster

Hi,

I have y510p with sli, recently I had to install ubuntu and for that had to disable secure boot.

After the installation, I have tried several times to enable Secure boot in uefi utility but the status still shows as "secure boot disabled".

Please can someone tell me why is this happening?

Hello, this is because secure boot only works with operating system that have a signed boot key. Some versions Ubuntu have this, and some don't. The ones that do are just a recommended key and may not boot on all systems. So to start most Linux distros, secure boot needs to be off.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I have y510p with sli, recently I had to install ubuntu and for that had to disable secure boot.

After the installation, I have tried several times to enable Secure boot in uefi utility but the status still shows as "secure boot disabled".

Please can someone tell me why is this happening?

Hello, I have a y510p laptop also. You don't have to disable secure boot to dual boot windows and ubuntu. But it will only work if you use UEFI mode. if you have legacy bios mode enabled you can't use secure boot. Can you confirm you dont' have Legacy mode enabled?

I'm running Linux Mint which is almost the same as Ubuntu. I believe both distributions use the same signed keys..

Hello, this is because secure boot only works with operating system that have a signed boot key. Some versions Ubuntu have this, and some don't. The ones that do are just a recommended key and may not boot on all systems. So to start most Linux distros, secure boot needs to be off.

So it might not work on ALL PCs, but it does work on the Lenovo y510p. OP's machine.

How to Boot and Install Linux on a UEFI PC With Secure Boot

• FTA: Modern versions of Ubuntu — starting with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and 12.10 — will boot and install normally on most PCs with Secure Boot enabled. This is because Ubuntu’s first-stage EFI boot loader is signed by Microsoft. However, a Ubuntu developer notes that Ubuntu’s boot loader isn’t signed with a key that’s required by Microsoft’s certification process, but simply a key Microsoft says is “recommended.” This means that Ubuntu may not boot on all UEFI PCs. Users may have to disable Secure Boot to to use Ubuntu on some PCs.