Y580 Microcode updates?

blowntaha

Can anyone tell me if there are any major improvements to performance to updating the microcode for 3610qm? I'd upgrade my cpu (been looking to get the 3720qm) but I won't be able to afford it for a while. I think my version was 0x17 before my RMA, right now I have 0x15. And how would I go about doing this, I know this is usually done via bios updates, but I know that Linux users are able to implement microcode updates at the kernal level (correct me if I'm wrong). So would this be possible in windows?

Also, would anyone mind helping/teaching me or giving me a few pointers on how to get started with modifying the BIOS (as in, making actual edits to the BIOS, not changing settings/flashing modified BIOS)? I know I could just google this and figure it out for myself but I think it's much safer learning from someone who has actually done this for this particular laptop. And, if it matters, my stock BIOS was 2.04 (i think, maybe it was 2.05 i forgot).

Thanks in advance for reading/helping

A BIOS update will get you back to the latest microcode update. The OS is supposed to be able to do it as well, but I find it doesn't work very often.

As for getting started in modding I like this guy's tutorials: donovan6000's Blog: Insyde Bios Modding: Advanced and Power Tabs

If you want to modify the ME FW and not just the BIOS you need to use FPT and FITC from intel. Both are included with poor documentation here.

If you really want to get into it you'll need a SPI programmer tool to fix bricks. You can get your flash ROM chip numbers from intel's fpt program to figure out which programmer you need.

A BIOS update will get you back to the latest microcode update. The OS is supposed to be able to do it as well, but I find it doesn't work very often.

As for getting started in modding I like this guy's tutorials: donovan6000's Blog: Insyde Bios Modding: Advanced and Power Tabs

If you want to modify the ME FW and not just the BIOS you need to use FPT and FITC from intel. Both are included with poor documentation here.

If you really want to get into it you'll need a SPI programmer tool to fix bricks. You can get your flash ROM chip numbers from intel's fpt program to figure out which programmer you need.

When you say ME firmware, I'm assuming you're referring to Intel Management Engine? I came across a couple sites about the IMEI firmware, and whenever I'd search to see what exactly the IMEI handles/does/takes care of and most of them say if you're not performing remote connections then you don't need to worry about it. THEN I found out that you can also "flash" its firrmware and that's where I become utterly confused. If there is a firmware counterpart to the driver, then how does this affect the system as a whole.

Ultimately what I am asking is what's the difference between the driver && firmware of the IMEI and what does it do ? Should the driver and firmware versions be the same?

EDIT: This is the guide (if it even matters) I was talking about for flashing the ME firmware: http://www.win-raid.com/t171f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-and-Tools.html#msg1866

The me driver isn't really that important. The me firmware is on a flash chip just like the bios and it controls a lot of things like clock configuration and turbo.

Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate your answers.

One more question, are there any precautions, other than the ones listed in the guide I linked (make sure it's the correct version yada yada), I should take before flashing an ME firmware update? e.g. for bios, its better to flash via DOS, set defaults prior, etc.

• 2 months later...