M15x lights bricked

Andy3008

Hi everyone, i've tried searching for this problem on the forums but to no avail.

To cut a long story short, i used the resource disk i got with my M15x to re-install all drivers and software when i reformatted. Then to my horror all my lighting disappeared and AlienFX was useless. A bit of googling revealed that the resource disk should not be used to install AlienFX, bit to late for me.

Was just wondering whether there is a specific fix for this, or whether i'm up for another motherboard.

I've tried a fresh install and used the mosr recent version of AlienFX but still no joy.

Any help appreciated.

The only way I know to get it working again (besides a mobo swap) is reprogramming the flash storage that holds the AlienFX-controller firmware. Would require some soldering.

Or grab a defective mobo and scavenge the part and put it on your mobo.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This happened to me around a year and a half ago after I got my M15x secondhand from a friend. First thing I did was to reformat the puter as it had some sort of Linux installed on it.

The reformat worked with no problems from the supplied Alienware Win 7 Installation disc, the problem occurred when I started installing from the rescource disc..... BIG MISTAKE!!!

Turns out that the resource disc contained a version of Command Centre that was incompatible with the A05 BIOS. This resulted in a laptop with no lights. As you've probably realised by now,

I hadn't heard about the announcement warning owners not to use the resource disc! Even my friend who had originally purchased the laptop hadn't been informed by Dell!

After a few days cursing while trying to find a fix for this (with many posters giving slightly annoying & not very useful advice of "BINNING THE DISC!!") :22_002:I ended up speaking with a Dell UK customer service technician via Dell's online chat widget & explained my predicament.

The end results were that despite having told them I had bought the M15x secondhand, Dell came out to my house & replaced my motherboard the very next day! (within 24hrs, probably cause I lived in Bracknell, Where Dell have their UK HQ) As you could imagine, I was very, very chuffed!

It might be worthwhile contacting Dell via Dell's support site, especially if you've registered a product with them. It worked for me despite it being over 2 years since making the announcement (mid 2012)

Hope this helps?

Keith.