Just installed the 580m

Leo14

Re installed the 460m now it just beeps. Trying to exchange for a 680m... Is that a good idea? How much should I expect to pay for one? I wish the 580 worked.. I'm really bugged as to what the issue is and now my system just doesn't turn on.. I'm pulling my hair out here with all this re pasting/cleaning/card in and out.. I'm giving up until I figure out a better alternative. I'm almost out of paste for sure now lol. And my thermal padding job is so sloppy

Before spending...reset the BIOS, unplug the power cord -> remove Battery + CMOS -> hold the power button for 60 sec -> Reinsert CMOS + Battery -> Power on (beeps)-> F2 enter the BIOS...460M detected ?

Whoa okay now after holding fn and pressing the power button it's actually working again.For now I'm going to set the graphics back to PEG. As I don't want to be locked out again, and I need to update drivers so leaving it in integrated graphics seems okay

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously lost now. Neither of my graphics options are doing any good. I can get it to start and turn on. But now that I try to switch the main display it shuts down like it's bout to restart then more beeping.. I'm just about ready to say fuck it and start calling computer places, after I get a 680.. If I should that is, what the hell is going on with my system? It's problem after problem.. For 3 years..

Whoa okay now after holding fn and pressing the power button it's actually working again.For now I'm going to set the graphics back to PEG. As I don't want to be locked out again, and I need to update drivers so leaving it in integrated graphics seems okay

BIOS reset, beeps are normal -> auto shutdown/restart, besides the refund get a proper discount ;) for all the trouble (faulty 580M).

Seriously lost now. Neither of my graphics options are doing any good. I can get it to start and turn on. But now that I try to switch the main display it shuts down like it's bout to restart then more beeping.. I'm just about ready to say fuck it and start calling computer places, after I get a 680.. If I should that is, what the hell is going on with my system? It's problem after problem.. For 3 years..

Set the 460m, if it's stable flash the unlocked A12 BIOS and disable IGP/Set display to PEG, switching will not be supported with the 680m anyway.

I can't even get it to start now. 8 beeps. Literally nothing will get it to boot. If the 680 doesn't fix this/make it turn on I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. But I didn't want this, all this bullshit and a non working system... Why is it beeping 8 times if the LCD screens fine? I don't know if I should check the connection or not because I'm quite fed up with this machine and just doing things with no knowledge of it going to work or not makes me want to throw this thing in the trash.

I'm awaiting the 680m/heatsink now

edit: I got it to turn on, took out the 460m and I guess it made the bios switch back to integrated. So now that I have it working, can someone please tell me what I should do in order to prep for a 680m >< I can't find an answer to that anywhere at this moment, I will still look but I figured I'd try to get the word out.

I'm awaiting the 680m/heatsink now

edit: I got it to turn on, took out the 460m and I guess it made the bios switch back to integrated. So now that I have it working, can someone please tell me what I should do in order to prep for a 680m >< I can't find an answer to that anywhere at this moment, I will still look but I figured I'd try to get the word out.

Follow this (ignore disabling IDT/integrated sound card) [Guide] Alienware M17xR3 GTX 780M installation

- A12 unlocked BIOS, disable the integrated graphics - second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP ->set display to PEG ->F10 reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome, also I checked to see what the graphics was set to and it's still PEG, so I guess ill just skip that step? Thank you so much

Keep PEG / disable IGP, Win 7 skip steps 2 and 4...driver signing.

Heatsink + screws the 460m ones won't fit.

Yeah I know, I'm getting a new one with the 680, coming pre assembled/benchmarked ^^ no thermal pasting/padding for me. Was fun to try tho

- - - Updated - - -

Also, last question for a while.. can I do all of this now? Without the card installed/any graphics card in?

Yeah no problem, keep the 460m installed and Flash unlocked A12 -> InsydeFlashx64 right click/run as administrator.

Okay, seems as if everything installed proper and such. Inf file in place (IF it's not, then what will tell me?) and do I need to reflash the vbios when I install the 680?

Disable IGP / set Display to PEG, uninstall current drivers with DDU -> install 680M.

Driver installation.

Download GeForce 331.93 Beta Drivers

.1 -Install Nvidia driver.

.2 -extract.

.3 -Installation failed "No compatible device found">close dialog.

.4 -Browse the extracted Nvidia folder (C:\Nvidia)>open Display.Driver folder> copy/overwrite nvdmn.inf.

.5 -Run setup.exe within the extracted Nvidia folder.

.6 -Select custom install>Check clean install option.

.7 -Reboot.

Modded nvdmn.inf (unzip) Modded nvdmn.inf v331.93 AW M17XR2/R3/R4 3D + M18XR1/R2 SLI GTX 680M / 780M

vBIOS is optional, Clevo/MSI (Blue PCB) or Dell (green PCB) ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Disable IGP / set Display to PEG, uninstall current drivers with DDU -> install 680M.

Driver installation.

Download GeForce 331.93 Beta Drivers

.1 -Install Nvidia driver.

.2 -extract.

.3 -Installation failed "No compatible device found">close dialog.

.4 -Browse the extracted Nvidia folder (C:\Nvidia)>open Display.Driver folder> copy/overwrite nvdmn.inf.

.5 -Run setup.exe within the extracted Nvidia folder.

.6 -Select custom install>Check clean install option.

.7 -Reboot.

Modded nvdmn.inf (unzip) Modded nvdmn.inf v331.93 AW M17XR2/R3/R4 3D + M18XR1/R2 SLI GTX 680M / 780M

vBIOS is optional, Clevo/MSI (Blue PCB) or Dell (green PCB) ?

I did install that driver as well as the inf file, put it it's place, and not sure but pretty sure it's a dell card. What will go wrong if the inf file isn't there?

1- A12 Unlocked BIOS ->Disable IGP -> Set display to PEG -> F10 / reboot.

2- Windows, Uninstall drivers with DDU (third option/new graphics card)-> Shutdown.

3- GPU swap, install the 680M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEk_ZFAzLI#t=3m51s

4- Install drivers.

What will go wrong if the inf file isn't there?

-> Installation failed "No compatible device found".

Am running the a12 unlocked and it works I guess with the 460m. I will remove drivers that way, then install the card, then install drivers. Hoping that ensures no problems

I'm guessing ill need to replace the inf file again? Like after I do that driver uninstall?