Planning memory upgrade to 32 GB soon, opinions and experiences wanted.

rogueagent6

Hi all, I'm planning upgrading to 32 GB in my Sager (Digital Storm) NP9150 soon and was wondering what everyone considered the best 16 GB kits to go with? I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on two of G.Skill's 16 GB 1866 ripjaws, but was wondering if anyone had any experience running four, eight GB modules @ 1866, in these laptops? This is my main system so I'm looking for stability in addition to a bit of a performance increase (1866@10-10-10 vs. 1600@11-11-11).

Here is the kit I am considering: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Laptop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GRSL

Thanks!

That looks pretty good i plan to go to 32 GBs too but....i perfer Corsair Vengeance im a corsair fan...as for a performance increase...unless your running servers or just running alot of apps entirely (a lot as is above like 400) you really wont notice a differance unless your current ram cant keep up :/ like right now i have 8GBs and i never go passed 50% the only reason i want 32GBs is for the love of having it XD but yea unless ur Ram is like 4GBs right now...i dont think youll see a differance other then a %

That looks pretty good i plan to go to 32 GBs too but....i perfer Corsair Vengeance im a corsair fan...as for a performance increase...unless your running servers or just running alot of apps entirely (a lot as is above like 400) you really wont notice a differance unless your current ram cant keep up :/ like right now i have 8GBs and i never go passed 50% the only reason i want 32GBs is for the love of having it XD but yea unless ur Ram is like 4GBs right now...i dont think youll see a differance other then a %

Actually I need to start learning OVM for work, and that is primarily what this upgrade will facilitate. I'm with you in that I'd rather have Corsair, but at $40 more a kit it's a bit hard to swallow.

I do suppose they are more expensive but then the have a lifetime warranty but yea i suppose your correct

If ovm means what i think it is which is Oracle virtual machine i think youll be able to run multiple instances with more ram so i suppose itll help

Yep, you're correct. It's Oracle VM. Some of our customer's have figured out it's cheaper than running a VMware environment, so now we get to support it. G.Skill has a decent warranty (lifetime), but I prefer Corsair's support which has never let me down. Although I'll admit it's been years since I've had to RMA any memory from any company.

I am currently thinking about upgrading to 16GB myself, as I only got 1 8GB stick installed this should be simple. I do think the extra ram can be a nice eddition especially when extracting large files, working with Auto CAD or other intensive processes, plus the cost is quite low anyway. I don't think the frequency has virtually any effect though on the performance of the machine.

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently thinking about upgrading to 16GB myself, as I only got 1 8GB stick installed this should be simple. I do think the extra ram can be a nice eddition especially when extracting large files, working with Auto CAD or other intensive processes, plus the cost is quite low anyway. I don't think the frequency has virtually any effect though on the performance of the machine.

Yes, I agree there. Frequency will, of course, have some impact on module performance but I would weigh the latency (CL) a little more than frequency.