Chromebook

So Google apparently announced the release of this thing on June 15th.

Google Chrome Blog: A new kind of computer: Chromebook

Another report:

Here's the Samsung one on Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook (Arctic White): Computer & Accessories

Interesting concept, but probably completely useless and overpriced for anyone who has basic knowledge of computers.

3G data plan with 100MB bandwidth? Seriously? :D For a gadget that's completely based on cloud storage? rofl.

It just seems a lot like iPad + keyboard (which you can buy extra). Except that it doesn't have mad multitouch and an IPS screen. And btw lol @ 300-nit "SuperBright" display. :D Also, I'm not sure how the offline files will work but have fun whenever you loose or can't access the internet. ^^

There is barely information released on Google's website.

Is not a well kept secret that for years Google has been planing to create their own OS putting Microsoft and apple outta the OS business. We Started to get glimpses when they released the gadgets and then the nexus one. The latest incarnation the android OS further their covert penetration in to that market.

Enter the Chromebook, This is Google first attempt to power a full computer system with their proprietary OS, and like the nexus one it will fail miserably and at the same time will be a resounding success. Success, how so you ask? Well yes because even that the nexus one is dead, the OS lives on, and it's powering the most powerful tablets and smartphones out there just behind Apple OS.

This is typically Google M.O. They release a piece of hardware that no ones see potential on it and there is no real market traction on it, but what they really releasing is not the notebook, but the OS.

And in their minds it is fine if the hardware becomes a casualty of war, after all that what it was designed for.

I personally believe this will flop. Even though the price is reputed to be decent (299 for the 4hour acer one I think? And 399? for the samsung 8 hr one?), it still is more expensive than your standard netbook. Also, the lack of a real os is troubling as well. I might be backwards or wrong on those prices. Honestly, I would not be psyched to put all my data on the web, a cloud based solution is interesting and neat, but not practical. The internet is too finicky to depend on always

Yeah forget about the internetz on subway, airplanes and most buses. But I see some of their points. It would be nice to have some of those features, like more secure browser. On the other hand, I feel one looses too much. I mean geez.... their OS has even less functions that iPhone/iPad OS. And that's something! :D Seems too netbookish.

Well let me just share an observation, right now I am in a trip(small one) and what i notice is that smartphones are everywhere. In the train, in the bus I mean literally they worst that roaches at this point.

And is not any longer the business man/woman or the preppy techno geek, I literally saw grandma's that spoke little or no English and people from all walks of life glue to their devices.

The point being that yes you can't get a signal in the subway but it is not for long. Boeing designed some years ago an array that allow planes to get high speed internet on the air at 30 thousand feet, so is not gonna be long before we find access to the internet wherever we are(I doubt about in the woods since I don't feel there is a lot of money giving access to trees)

Remember as long there is the need and the demand, it will be offered, and this plays perfectly in the hands of Google. Once the internet is everywhere and is and common as electricity they will be there, perfectly prepare to serve the masses.

• Founder

The thing is, do you trust all your files to be stored in the cloud instead of your hard disk? do you trust the connection of a hot-spot where others may eavesdropping you? There are so many security issues with public sites that offer internet access that I wouldn't even type my facebook credentials from there.

I would rather have my cellphone and do some data tethering to my netbook if I want internet on the go and have my files locally rather than depend solely on internet availability or a wifi hotspot in order to have an operational computer and retrieve all my files from the cloud.

True just look at apple and the fact they track you and most online services will turn your information over at request of government services.

• Founder

Indeed, at least with apps like that you know that you are being tracked and in most cases people willing submit their position and habits (ie facebook or google maps), the problem is greater though when you are unaware of it (someone intercepted an unencrypted password you typed in an unsecured wifi connection somewhere in a public location like a cafeteria) and even worse when someone else is using those stolen credentials and you find out later on...

• Thumbs Up 1

I used dropbox... I don't anymore and I wiped the contents of mine out when I found that out. Guess what read about last month they changed their policy about you confidential files privacy and the allowing of the search and ceisure of your dropbox content according to government and legal request. Don't put anything in the cloud!

Edited by mw86