Dumb Question, but..

Lisania

Ah, no... that's the newest generation. They have a new naming scheme now. The current systems are simply called 'Alienware' and a number that describes the screen size. So the current 17 inch Alienware notebook is called 'Alienware 17' or short 'AW 17'.

The M17x enumeration isn't used anymore, at least not officially. In the past there have been the M17x (which later became the 'M17x R1'), and it's successor the M17x R2. Both had the same design, same chassis, but different hardware inside. Meaning different chipset, CPU, GPU... The R2 was the first 17 inch Alienware with the Core i CPUs.

What followed was the M17x R3 which came with a new design and second generation Core i CPUs. It was succeeded by the M17x R4 which has the same design as the R3, but newer hardware inside (third generation Core i CPUs).

Technically you could call the current system M17x R5, but Dell decided to call it simply Alienware 17. It features fourth generation Intel Core i CPUs, as for example the i7-4700MQ. The Alienware 17 is the newest one in the AW notebook family.

I hope this didn't confuse you. You can google some pictures if you want to know about the optical differences, but when it comes to performance the newest one is definitely the best.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I believe that if you open AlienAutopsy it will show the Product Model together with the Service Tag, Express Service Code and Warranty Valid Until info. If you've uninstalled AlienAutopsy, it can be downloaded at http://content.dellsupportcenter.com/updates/aulauncher.exe

You are replying to a two years old comment :x