New here

tgotovac

hey guys, im new to this forum, i have an AW 17 with a GTX 780m, i7 4800, 16GB of ram, 750GB HDD in raid0 with a 64GB cache drive.

i got my AW 17 as a replacement for my broken down R3 which i loved. ive got mixed feelings about my new AW17. the performance is awesome for sure but the lack of ports bothers me. im missing that esata port my R3 had. im also missing the media keys my R3 had. one thing i do love though is the cooling. So far it runs nice and cool(compared to my R3 anyways). one thing i am very disappointed with is the fact that straight out of the box my HDMI in/out port is dead. im having the motherboard replaced tomorrow. is there anything i should pay attention to to make sure the tech is doing everything correctly? im a little worried something else may break after this.

To be honest I would not accept a repair on a brand new notebook, I would push for a new one if I were you. Of course this could result in delays building new one to your specs...

Ok, things to check - touchpad, touchpad buttons, sound, mic, webcam and then go into device manager and check if there are any unknown devices. Then stress test the system since replacing the mainboard means they had to remove the heatsinks from CPU and GPU and might have not done the best re-pasting job. Check the built quality - if it does not feel loose somewhere, move the screen and check if you get any picture distortions/picture corruption at any angle. And then check all the ports on the notebook ;)

If the technician is coming to your house make sure he cleans old thermal paste completely from both heatsinks and CPU with GPU and then applies new thermal paste. I had one tech trying to put the heatsinks back without cleaning old thermal paste and my reported fault was overheating...