Modifying vBIOS questions

Hello all, new to the forum.

I have been reading up about modifying the vBIOS, and I believe that is what will fix my problem. Had a couple questions as I havent messed with flashing a vBIOS before, but I think I can do it by following the site's tutorial.

I have a M980NU and I have a GTX 470m. This card currently shows up as unknown in the BIOS.

Do I need to flash the vBIOS to identify it as a card that is compatible with my system?

Also, when I do this, will it show up as the card it actually is in Windows 7, or will it show up as the card I flashed it to?

And, will performance be affected?

Thanks for any feedback.

It doesn't matter whether it is shown as unknown or not in the BIOS...

But you most likely need to use a modified .inf file to install the driver.

Extract the drivers you want, open the .inf file in the folder: display. driver named nv_dispi or nvts, nvtsn, nvamn(this should not matter as far as I know) and place this string under [strings]: NVIDIA_DEV.0E30 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470M"

Put this string: %NVIDIA_DEV.0E30% = Section103 under[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] if running windows 7 or [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2] if running windows 8.

Save the .inf and install the driver

I was able to get a driver to work for the 470m, but now it runs awfully slow. I loaded up Metro 2033 and it was getting like 5-10 FPS on FRAPS, so something is obviously wrong. I tried other drivers, but I cannot get anything else to install, only the 320.20 works. I will post my problem in the appropriate forum...