M15x with Nvidia GTX 770M?

pangers94

Hello fellow T|I members, I'm a new member here and have a question regarding GPU upgrade for Alienware m15x. My current m15x has the 6990M but so far I've been having heat issue which leads to complete laptop shutdown :distrust:. I'm planning to change my GPU to nvidia GTX 675MX. However I can't stop wondering that some people have told me that the 675MX is actually similar to the 770M. Do you guys think that the 770M will perform better than the 675MX? If it does, will it work in the m15x? Does it have to be Dell card or Clevo card is also fine (i need the DisplayPort to connect my laptop to external monitor)? Last question, will both of these cards work stably in the m15x since I'm tired of having unstable GPU (my current 6990M) which makes me impossible to play games at all :| (Diablo 3 temp 90++, dota2 temp 85++, bioshock temp 90++).

P.S. I'm using i7-920XM as my cpu and 150W psu

P.P.S. If you guys can recommend me any other GPU than those two mentioned above that better suits me please feel free to mention it :tennis:

@svl7 does the GTX680M runs cool in the m15x? I might consider to spend a little bit more to get the GTX680M if it's also stable (no throttling whatsoever) and runs cool in the m15x :D. And what's the difference between the Clevo 680M and Dell 680M? Will either work with the m15x? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm using 150W psu.

The 680m works very well for gaming. Played hours of BF3 and BLOPS2 with it, no issues at all. Was at stock clocks. Been using a 240W PSU, but the 150W should do... but will run hot.

@svl7 that's really great to hear! I don't mind running my GPU at stock clocks as I prefer a GPU that can perform stably under high load :D. I will also consider getting the 240W PSU just to make sure the PSU stays cool. What's ur "stable" temperature range during gaming? And is it better to get the Clevo card (4GB) or is it better to get the Dell card (2GB)? I need to use the DisplayPort to use external monitor. Thanks again for your help!

Everything works fine with the Clevo card, I always had a second monitor attached. Card can be kept reasonable cool without problems if the heatsink applies enough pressure on the die. I think I was in the low 80s max when gaming for a longer time. Depending on ambient temperature you will be lower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...