Lenovo Y400 needs battery to game?

alankevis

After couple complete shutdown and crash, I have found a little problem with my new Y400 (with GT 750m).

I ran Heaven Benchmark with my laptop plugged in without battery (took it off the back) Right when Heaven Benchmark started running, it shutdown completely. Same thing with when I tried to play Hitman Absolution.

However, when I put the battery back in (plugged in) it does not. I can't think of a reason why this happened. Anyone know the reason? I had it run Heaven Benchmark and the temp is around 60-65 with cooling pad underneath.

Another problem is after an hour or two playing hitman absolution, I noticed a big drop in FPS and when I get out to window, I notice the battery status is 54% plugged in and not charging. I had to restart to get that status to change to "Charged". I had a gaming laptop before and I don't think it takes power from battery while plugged in. This one does which is a new thing for me. Is it what Y400 supposed to work or I have a hardware/software problem?

Sounds like a hardware issue. Most likely a defective power brick which is not supplying enough power to the laptop. Makes sense because you say running Heaven on just AC power makes the laptop shut down due to the brick not supplying enough juice to power the GPU under load. You shouldn't be draining the battery while plugged in and gaming unless you're running an extreme overclock and overvolt.

Do you have single 750M or SLI and how many watts is your charger?

Sounds like a hardware issue. Most likely a defective power brick which is not supplying enough power to the laptop. Makes sense because you say running Heaven on just AC power makes the laptop shut down due to the brick not supplying enough juice to power the GPU under load. You shouldn't be draining the battery while plugged in and gaming unless you're running an extreme overclock and overvolt.

Do you have single 750M or SLI and how many watts is your charger?

Thank you for the answer. The AC adaptor doesn't indicate the wattage on it. It comes with the laptop and It surprisingly a lot smaller than other AC adaptor I've seen. Yesterday the battery is staying at 54% the whole night even when I left it charge (status is plugged in, charging) I had to do a hard reset by unplug the battery and hold power button for 10 sec to actually get it working.

Thank you for the answer. The AC adaptor doesn't indicate the wattage on it. It comes with the laptop and It surprisingly a lot smaller than other AC adaptor I've seen. Yesterday the battery is staying at 54% the whole night even when I left it charge (status is plugged in, charging) I had to do a hard reset by unplug the battery and hold power button for 10 sec to actually get it working.

You probably have the 120W adapter. The 170W one is quite large and has the wattage written on it and rubber feet on the bottom while the 120W doesn't have these things. Do you have SLI or not?

You probably have the 120W adapter. The 170W one is quite large and has the wattage written on it and rubber feet on the bottom while the 120W doesn't have these things. Do you have SLI or not?

No I actually don't. Should I buy another AC adapter to test it?