Alienware M17x R3 3D - upgrading Nvidia GTX 580m to Nvidia GTX 675m

Hello everyone, I have an Alienware M17x with 3D screen and a NVIDIA GTX 580m that stopped working after 2 years of use, so I was looking to upgrade it and bought the GTX 675m from eBay.

It arrived yesterday and could fit normally in the heat dissipator, I assembled it and plugged in the laptop, so far so good, everything was looking just fine, but when I turned the laptop on the screen was on, but all black, it started beeping and then kept reestarting and beeping in a cycle.

Before installing the new video card I formatted the computer to get rid of all the old NVIDIA drivers, so I could start fresh, I would like to know if I should install a vbios, a specific driver or even a modded one for it to work, or if it's no going to work at all, maybe because of the 3D screen. I don't mind loosing the 3D, I just want it to work with a GTX 675m.

That card was no cheap at all and there's a lot of things I still need to try, but if someone who had the same problems or someone with expertise could share some light...

This is my first post here, but I have been following many threads, specially Alienware related and I could see that there is a great community here, keep up with the good job guys!

I hope I'm no breaking any rules here, any help/suggestion would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Luiz Clarke

Hmm, not sure what's going on since the 3d version doesn't have optimus... I'd expect it to be plug and play (except for 3d).

It's possible that the card needs to be re-seated, the MXM socket is sensitive...

If this doesn't help try loading the bios defaults, if this doesn't help try disabling the Intel GPU completely and set your display to PEG in the BIOS (I think you need the unlocked BIOS for this).

Hmm, not sure what's going on since the 3d version doesn't have optimus... I'd expect it to be plug and play (except for 3d).

It's possible that the card needs to be re-seated, the MXM socket is sensitive...

If this doesn't help try loading the bios defaults, if this doesn't help try disabling the Intel GPU completely and set your display to PEG in the BIOS (I think you need the unlocked BIOS for this).

Thanks a lot for the answer, I'll try it when I get home!

Alright, loading the BIOS defaults worked like a charm, but when I went to the Nvidia website the autoscan could detect the GTX 675m but told me:

The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site.

So I just downloaded the GTX 675m driver using the search engine, when I tried to install it said that the graphic driver could not find a compatible hardware.

Should I look for a modded driver or something like that? I'll do some research here to see what I can find.

I tried to install the following drivers, with no succes, always the same result. The graphic driver could not find a compatible hardware.

304.79 international Beta

320.49 International Beta

320.49 International whql

I tried switching SG to PEG in the BIOS but when the computer restarted the screen was black and beeping... I removed the video card and switched back to SG again.

Here's what GPU-Z is showing:

aqt.png

Now it is recognized as a GTX 675m in the device manager instead of Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, but in the resource settings it still say:

This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

And when I try to open the Nvidia control panel it also say that the device is not connected to the display, or something like that, I uninstalled the driver to try an older modded version I found...

Still the same. When I try to open the Nvidia Control Panel: "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

Is this because I use a 3D display perhaps, or is the card with some kind of deffect? I don't know what else to do, if someone could share some light...