can anyone help me Downclock a gtx680m?

cristiticu

I upgraded my P370em with a second gtx680m card.I bought the original Clevo upgrade kit from Eurocom. But the second card is running very hot.it spikes at 92-93 degrees.

I already checked the thermal paste,[iC Diamond 24 carat] ,I've polished the heatsink up to 2000 grit; the fans and heatpipes are clean.

I thought that the new card might be defective,so I swapped the cards ,with the original card as slave.

It makes no difference; the new card works in the first slot as good as the old one; and the old one now reaches high temps.

I have all my system running at stock speeds,vbioses untouched. The system has the Prema bios 1.04 2T

Before polishing the heatsink,the screen would go black after just 10 minutes of Borderlands 2 ,or 2 minutes of Crysis 3.

Now it kinda works,but due to throttling my Crysis 3 experience is worse in SLI than it was in single card.

So,since with a single card I was a happy camper,I would like to try to downclock both cards,eventually undervolt them ,in order to keep my temps down.

I tried with EVGA Precission,but as I can tell ,it does not have any effect on the cards.

So,how can I unlock the voltages and the clocks?

Also,anyone has an ideea on how to bring those temps down in any other way?

P.S. To anyone who wants to upgrade to a p370em to SLI ...BEWARE..very HOT...

personally,I had 600 euro to spend ,and for a while I was tempted to buy the Crucial M500 960gb ; instead,I went for a second GPU. all it did,is creating problems...before SLI ,my machine worked flawlessly and silently, and I did not knew the meaning of throttling .

I should have went for the SSD. For now all I bought for 600euros is fan noise and headaches.

You should maybe check if that heatpipe is having enough fluid.

To check if the heatpipe is working you can boil a pot of water and let it sit for a moment to cool off a bit.

Then insert the pipe with the heatsink side first. If the heatpipe is intact the other end should be unbearable hot within a second or two, if it takes longer you need to replace it.

How did you polish the heatsink? When I did it I used a flat stone countertop edge. Dropped temps by about 20C, and that was on a P150EM, which has cooling like the cooler GPU0 for you.

The main thing is to make it flat and level, not smooth. Smooth is no good if it's not flat.

I started with 800 grit. I would have used 600 but I couldn't find any. 400 seems too coarse and scrapes up the heatsink more than sanding it. After the 800 I moved to 2000. It takes a long time to sand out the grooves in the heatsink plate even with 800.

Thanks to both Prema and Kenglish for their suggestions...but the heatpipe is ok...done the boiling water test; it becomes hot almost instantly...and is flat...

I did the sanding gradually - 800,1000,1500,2000...and yes is very time consuming,under the heatpipes the heatsink was deformed due to soldering.

I would like to try the foil mod...but I can't find any information or photos. could any of you point me to a tutorial on hoe to do it?

also,I hear that some north american resellers,have some extra copper heatpipes...did anyone publish some photos of this mod?

anyway,I think that the safest way would be to underclock the cards. i mean ,The cards are already more powerful than one really needs right now,and sincerely I would happily trade 10-15 FPS for some silence and long therm stability...

So if anyone can give me an advice on how to do it ,i would be very grateful.

Yeah as it is sharing the space with the CPU-Heatsink the fan-grill surface area for the second GPU on that model is quiet small....

You could get the P370SM GPU/CPU fan combination, then your temps will be good...if you want I can try to get you the part numbers.

Yeah as it is sharing the space with the CPU-Heatsink the fan-grill surface area for the second GPU on that model is quiet small....

You could get the P370SM GPU/CPU fan combination, then your temps will be good...if you want I can try to get you the part numbers.

Thanks ..In the meantime,can anyone help me to underclock these cards? just to be on the safe side?

1200 euro about to burn...

God dammit, Clevo...stop wasting people's money.Do your homework.

i mean ,one does not need to be an expert to understand that this machine runs extremely hot.

we already pay loads of money for graphic cards,i think anyone would gladly pay a bit extra for a decent cooling system...

to think ,I was thinking to try folding@home on this system....

Thanks ..In the meantime,can anyone help me to underclock these cards? just to be on the safe side?

1200 euro about to burn...

God dammit, Clevo...stop wasting people's money.Do your homework.

i mean ,one does not need to be an expert to understand that this machine runs extremely hot.

we already pay loads of money for graphic cards,i think anyone would gladly pay a bit extra for a decent cooling system...

to think ,I was thinking to try folding@home on this system....

All you do for a foil mod is just wrap aluminum tape, or foil, or whatever around the end of the fan and the radiator to ensure that all air from the fan blows through the radiator. It doesn't have to look pretty.

What some resellers do is add tiny heatsinks, not heatpipes, which could actually help. Adding heatsinks with no air flow is just a waste of money. Going with the 370SM radiator is a good idea.

Dropping the voltage will help much more than dropping the clocks. Stock voltage can handle 900MHz+ even though the stock clocks are only 720MHz. I would PM svl7 and see if he has a BIOS around .95V that you can try.

All you do for a foil mod is just wrap aluminum tape, or foil, or whatever around the end of the fan and the radiator to ensure that all air from the fan blows through the radiator. It doesn't have to look pretty.

What some resellers do is add tiny heatsinks, not heatpipes, which could actually help. Adding heatsinks with no air flow is just a waste of money. Going with the 370SM radiator is a good idea.

Dropping the voltage will help much more than dropping the clocks. Stock voltage can handle 900MHz+ even though the stock clocks are only 720MHz. I would PM svl7 and see if he has a BIOS around .95V that you can try.

For now I'll just disable SLI. Beetween the noise and the risk of cooking the cards it's just not worth it. will keep the second card on physics only.

For me ,this is the frist and the last Clevo. Next time will go with Alienware -I would have bought one in the frist place,if it not had such a childish design.

I never immagined that a machine with all it's original parts ,at this price range could be designed so badly.

God I miss my watercooled desktop....