G75VW- won't boot and acces BIOS after crashed Windows7 Update

erka

Hello Mates,

My Asus G75VW was offline for 2 weeks and when it came back on there were 8 Windows updates to be done. Picked some of them>restart. There was this typical ~configuring~ message that went for 20 min or so. I thought it's frozen so I rebooted it manually. And than... nothing. Black screen. I can't access BIOS, Windows wont start either.

I tried generic reset with holding the power button but it failed.

I tried to boot from windows repair disk- nothing.

I was thinking that bios reference to the bootable kernel is corrupted and the whole system is a mess. Someone said to me that Windows 7 has a secure boot which also impacts bios?

It seems that I'd have to take out bios battery but that probably would end warranty- the thing is- it's from States and I'm in UK and time is the matter Mate, as it's my source of income.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

You'll want to remove the battery first. Take out the battery and unplug it from the AC adapter. Hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. Plug everything back in and try to boot it again. Sometimes if the battery comes loose the PC detects it as a short or open and will not pass POST to get you to video.

Next thing would be to take off all external devices. Take out the HDD's the memory modules, battery, and DVD drive. That will leave you with the basics to get minimal video. Put one memory module in at a time and cycle through them until you're left with no more. And yes, I mean ALL the memory modules. If you have bad power supply from the AC adapter, a bad memory module, a bad mobo, or a bad graphics card, your computer won't show video. Hopefully it's just s stray memory module, but with gaming laptops you never know :/

If your computer still doesn't boot after all that then I would send it in for sure. Probably a motherboard or graphics card issue.

• 3 weeks later...

The statement "cant access bios" is very broad. Can you define "cant access" i.e. wont allow you to enter the bios with a key press? No display comes on? Splash screen comes up then goes black? I wouldnt see how a windows update would cause a motherboard or video card to fail.

As stated by tucker. If you have NO video period once you press the power button try those trouble shooting methods