M18x AC Adapter running M17x?

Nofew

Is it possible to use an M18x charger to run an M17x laptop? The overclocking I've thrown at it has it drawing about 210 watts constant load and the adapter that comes with the M17x only supports up to 240. The M18x's can handle 330 watts but I'm worried that my M17x's BIOS might not agree to take a charge from it.

Has anyone tried using an M18x charger with an M17x? Are there any issues with it? Can a patch possibly be made to make it accept the new charger? I know it's perfectly capable of handling the wattage (There's a tutorial on TechInferno that explains how to solder two 240 watt PSU's together for use with the M17x, but I figure ordering a second PSU'll cost just as much as an M18x in the first place and pretty much defeat the purpose.), but I also know that my old Dell laptop is *really* picky about the chargers I used and that Alienware's owned by Dell.

• Founder

Yes it should work fine, they both use the same voltage. But it won't necessarily draw more power since that is limited by the motherboard + power brick ID most likely.

There's a shiny mod over yonder that claims to pump 480 watts into the laptop. I figure as long as it'll take a charge off the M18x adapter it'll accept all 330 watts. Anyway, I have no reason to doubt this forum so far so I'll go ahead and order one when I get the chance and report back about how it goes.

On another topic, I'm wondering how they fit two GPU's in an M17x in that mod..