Status of M17x r2 Modded BIOS?

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

I can't find any new info on the modded BIOS's. I read that the BIOS provide the overclocking ability for all CPU's instead of just Extreme edition CPU's. So does this mean there is no reason to get 940XM over the 720QM because you can increase the multiplier with this BIOS? I've also been wondering what I should get 920XM ES vs. 940XM ES? Is there anything that the 940xm gives that justifies the $200 price increase on ebay? Also, I was wondering the status of the 6970M cfx in the R2? I think we are very close. We just need to make it so when we are on battery, we run on an undervolted, downclocked single 6970m and when we are plugged in we run at full performance, dual 6970's. This is possible, correct? Has wiz tried to add the device id's for the 6970 to the BIOS?

Thanks.

Guest bifnewman

NVM about the CPU overclocking mods... Just saw the thread on bios-mods.com. Really nice bios mod by wiz... You just increase the CPU frequency by a percentage. I assume the 920XM and 940XM will achieve higher overclocks that the 720QM, right?

• Founder

Yeah unfortunately for the non extreme cpu the only way to overclock is through the BCLK (either from the BIOS if you have the modded one, or using SetFSB). Plus with non extreme CPUs you can't adjust TDP/TDC, something you can do with ThrottleStop on a 920/940XM.

Morover extreme CPUs can be overclocked by changing their multipliers.

For overclocking, extreme CPUs are the way to go (you don't need to change your BIOS to the modded one with those either)

Guest bifnewman

If I upgraded to an extreme edition cpu, is the 940xm worth going for? I have a feeling it would be a waste over the 920xm since its a lot more on ebay. it would look cool in my sig though. epeen is everything lol.

Guest bifnewman

It's like $200 more so ill upgrade to 920xm... Will i have to keep the current cpu since my m17x is under warranty?

• Founder

Yeah, you have to, I still have my 820QM... funny thing is that, that CPU is untouched, not even 1 min of operation, the first thing I did after unboxing was to swap CPUs LOL

If it's a lot more then it's not worth it, it's a matter of luck as well, you may find a 920XM that overclocks better than a 940XM and vice versa

Exactly... if you check the R2 benchmark thread... I overclocked my 920XM at the time to pretty much the same levels as yours Stam... the only difference being that you were able to keep your 940XM cooler because you repasted with non-stock paste... I never had the chance to re paste before Dell tech mutilated my R2. Cheers... the 940 and 920 can be set the same, unlocked tdp, tdc, multiplier and combine that with baseclock overclock through bios or setfsb and you'll see some amazing performance numbers. (3.5ghz-3.6ghz quad on stock cpu volts) (3.7ghz range 75mv) (3.8ghz something or higher 150MV)

Edited by mw86