Lenovo X230T Pen Mode and Mouse Mode (Relative and Absolute)

Murray Smart

I need my pen to work in Mouse Mode.

by default the Pen works in Pen Mode.

In version 5.1.1-5 of the Pen Tablet Properties (part of the wacom drivers) You could assign Mouse Mode or Pen Mode under the "Pop-up Menu" command that is an optional binding for the button on your pens.

Unfortunately the X230t that I purchased doesn't seem to have this option.. it is running version 7.0.0-29

Has anyone else come up against this issue before, it strikes me as odd that absolutely no one that I could locate on several forums has needed this option. I called Lenovo support and they didn't even know what Absolute or Relative cursor positioning was so I knew from the outset that they were going to be a waste of time...

I have tried to install an older version of the drivers from my HPTM2T (it runs the 5.1.1-5 version with the option to switch between Mouse and Pen modes. sadly, the Lenovo X230T does not recognise these drivers or more specifically the drivers do not recognise the wacom tablet features inside of the X230t.

My last resort will be to contact wacom and ask why in god's name did they remove this feature from the latest version.

This is all speculation but I get the feeling that :

A. They removed it out as noobs were likely swapping this around and then had no idea how to get it back so the pen worked normally.

B. The ability for the pen to work in Absolute as well as Relative modes, seems to have likely been the reason for fairly regular wacom pen "drop-outs" where the pens would suddenly swap of their own accord to Mouse mode and a restart was required to swap it back (if you didn't know you could manually swap it)

C. All of the above.

in either case, My suspicion is that the ability for the pen to go into mouse mode (I believe this is called Relative Mode .. would still be possible but may only be accessed by executing a script, macro or batch file that opens up the wacom drivers and alters the values around that control this feature. (and of cause a 2nd script to reverse this action)

Ideally if there is an older version of drivers for the pen / tablet floating around somewhere out there that work for the x230t I would love to get those installed as that will be the fastest and less messy (homebrew) fix.

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate any available assistance.

As a follow up post, Wacom have been contacted and they refuse to provide any information or assistance claiming that as they did not supply me with the device, they can not offer me their support. They then went on to tell me that as they did supply Lenovo, I would need to ask Lenoov to talk with them to get the information that I need so that they can relay this back to Lenovo and then Lenovo could pass that back on to me.

What a joke...

It seems odd that some games can swap how the mouse input is captured going between relative and absolute yet the drivers do not allow for end user control of toggling this feature any more.

When I phoned Lenovo back, they said that they would get me the information and call me back the very next day. They are yet to phone me back.

So, my options are to hope that someone out there does understand the issue and how it can be fixed or to press on calling Lenovo till they do something about it and I hvae an excessive phone bill.

Will keep the progress posted as it rolls in.

• Thumbs Up 1