Problem while trying to remove Heatsink

Naelo

Hey,

I've been trying for almost an hour to get my Heatsink off.

The problem is the screw on the heatsink labeled "2" (It's one of the CPU screws).

The round thing on the backplate that's supposed to hold the screw has rippled corners to

prevent itself from spinning with the screw.

But on that one, the mechanism doesnt seem to grip and the screw just rotates with the holder-thing making the screw unable to wind out.

My first thought was to push against it with my finger, but that didn't work.

I've tried to put a small piece of tape on the backside to "secure" the screw holder thing to the backplate, but the

grip area is too small for it to work.

I also tried tweezers but none of them is small enough to reach inbetween the little between the Metal plate on the Top

of the CPU and the Motherboard.

Here's a picture so you can see what part I'm talking about: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn5fl4tc8jvp4s/2013-01-08%2020.43.35.jpg

Any ideas? I'm really stuck on this one.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Naelo

• Founder

Do you have a tool small enough to fit into the holes of the hold down? If you can find something big enough that it grips it, that should give you enough holding power to remove the screw without the hold down rotating.

Edit: The holes look threaded in the picture, have you tried fitting a screw in there?

Do you have a tool small enough to fit into the holes of the hold down? If you can find something big enough that it grips it, that should give you enough holding power to remove the screw without the hold down rotating.

Edit: The holes look threaded in the picture, have you tried fitting a screw in there?

Unfortunately, I couldnt find a tool that small :( I will continue looking though.

Tried putting in a screw in now (The keyboard screws fit) but it doesnt help with the spinning since it hasnt got

enough force to hold it in place. The only possibility would be to put some glue on the threads of the screw but then I wouldn't be able to pull it off again...

Do you have any needle nose pliers that can grip it? Just be careful not to slip and damage the board.

Sent from my GT-N7000

A friend of mine has one. I will stop by tomorrow and grab it, and see how that works out.

Short OT: I also have an overtightened screw at the fan. The screw pattern is still fine, its just so fixed I cant get it loose.

Any ideas on that?