Repasting not giving expected performance

Naelo

Hey,

I've got a problem regarding my M14xR1 with GT555M 3GB & Core i7 2670QM running the unlocked A08 with SATA Fix (not modified anything in BIOS so far).

Since CPU was going into 80-85's while load and GPU was hitting 94° in Kombustor.

Out of warranty, I did what's advised everywhere on the internet: I repasted (with Arctic Silver 5) and cleaned the fan dust.

I followed the instructions in

I used about as much thermal paste as he did.

Now, the CPU is very rarely going over 75°. The GPU on the other hand, while not heating up nearly as fast,

is still going up to 92° after running Kombustor for 30 minutes. I've seen people tell

that they dont go over 70° with their GPU even after overclocking it (Mine is stock clocks).

I monitor using RealTemp for the CPU and Afterburner for the GPU.

Also, two other weird things: The air only seems to be flowing out of 75% of the vent opening, and its not very warm.

I accidentally dropped the fan from my workspace, which is normal desk height. Could that have ruined it? It still seems to be spinning fine.

I'm really stuck right now, I really consider opening it up again and repasting once more, maybe trying some IC Diamond.

Or did I just do something wrong while reassembling? Here's a pic of my fan output, if that helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx09ros3dighqud/2013-01-05%2016.14.11.jpg

Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Founder

Kombustor and Furmark are not good software to test the limits of your system, even for cooling purposes. Use a benchmark program like 3DMark 11 or a video game to test your max temperatures.

Kombustor and Furmark are not good software to test the limits of your system, even for cooling purposes. Use a benchmark program like 3DMark 11 or a video game to test your max temperatures.

Okay, so I did some monitoring while playing Saints Row: The Third for 30 minutes.

I was hanging around 86° GPU and 75-76° CPU-wise.

It seems the GPU is not delivering much heat as the hot air flow gets very hot when the CPU is stressed, but is only a bit warm when only GPU is stressed.

So I will try again.

One more question. The application of the Thermal Paste.

I've always applied thermal paste to my desktop computers by putting a strip on one end of the CPU and spread it by using an old credit card. The guy on the video puts drops on and presses the heatsink on.

Does that make a difference? I've always felt more comfortable distributing it prior to putting the heatsink on.

Also because the arctic silver tube is very small and it's hard to do big drops like in the video.

For notebooks, use a thin line and don't spread it, just put the sink on and fasten it.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Where should I put the line on the GPU? On the CPU it's clear because its long shaped

but the GPU is a square.

Sorry for being so "nit-picky" here but I really want to know as I really don't want to have to do this a third time.