"An error occurred while querying for WMI data: Not supported"

Adam Noble

I am now getting this error at startup for no reason, it seems to be a problem with OSD and from what I gather from Google, caused by some sort of bad GPU driver install?

I have tried reinstalling OSD from fresh.......I have tried reinstalling my GPU drivers from fresh but no change?

Has anyone had any experience with this, with OSD down I am getting a truck load of problems ranging from touch controls to RAM leaks :/

Machine is..

M17x R2

Windows 7 64bit

ATI Xfire 4870's - Catalyst version 12.6

- Driver version 9.97

OSD version 2.5.54.0

I am now getting this error at startup for no reason, it seems to be a problem with OSD and from what I gather from Google, caused by some sort of bad GPU driver install?

I have tried reinstalling OSD from fresh.......I have tried reinstalling my GPU drivers from fresh but no change?

Has anyone had any experience with this, with OSD down I am getting a truck load of problems ranging from touch controls to RAM leaks :/

Machine is..

M17x R2

Windows 7 64bit

ATI Xfire 4870's - Catalyst version 12.6

- Driver version 9.97

OSD version 2.5.54.0

I cant think of a reason it would happen based on suplied info. Do you have all windows updates installed, directx 9-11? You can try the online installer which would find missing dx files and download them. All dot net framework isntalled and all updates to it too? I wonder if its related to the 4870m? I wish i had a good suggestion for you Adam. You reinstalled all i would have tried...

• Thumbs Up 1

Trying your suggestions now, like you said its a strange one :/ I have been looking over the logs and the only thing that I have done different was that after a failed shutdown my GPU's came out of corssfire, I noticed this during some GW2 so I closed down, re-enabled and and played some more. That is the only thing I have done different in almost 2 months. I will report back once I have done ALL of the above.

• Founder

[MENTION=1692]Adam Noble[/MENTION] try going to program files (x86) dir where the OSD .exe file is located and re-run the service. Also, give official dell drivers a try and update your vbios to the latest one if you haven't already. If none of those solutions work, then its hard to say because it seems this was an OSD bug for some people and its been a while since I owned an M17x-R2. Perhaps @StamatisX can be of more help.

Edit: Forgot to mention we have Alienware reps that visit T|I so you can PM any of them. If you go here you can see the list of who's here.

• Thumbs Up 1

[MENTION=1692]Adam Noble[/MENTION] try going to program files (x86) dir where the OSD .exe file is located and re-run the service. Also, give official dell drivers a try and update your vbios to the latest one if you haven't already. If none of those solutions work, then its hard to say because it seems this was an OSD bug for some people and its been a while since I owned an M17x-R2. Perhaps @StamatisX can be of more help.

Great suggestions Brian I am glad you jumped in to help. Thanks Brian! Hopefully Stam has some of that insight on the issue. I remember it happening to me on R2 but after clean install it never came back for me. Good luck Adam i hope you get that prob nipped in the bud.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I would suggest reinstalling the Command center since it will reflash the firmware as well. Bios should be the latest one as well (A10), install this first in case you don't have it. That will leave only the GPU drivers as the culprit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to the fun guys :D

Right I have tried every single combination and I still come up with this error, I have tried removing OSD, Command Centre and my GPU software + Drivers then cleaned up with Driver Sweeper then installing them in different patterns, even previous versions of OSD. I have tried in both safe mode and normal mode.

As I type this I do not have OSD or Command Centre installed, I would leave it this way but My touch controls are now dead as I believe either OSD or Command Centre deals with them. Everything is up to date, BIOS, GPU although I have never flashed the VBios, didn't know you could on the 4870's and to top it off............My Restore settings are being uncooperative and only showing today's restore points (-_-)

I am stumped for now, everything is working fine except OSD, but apparently any OSD problems are caused by GPU failed writes :/

• Founder

Ok yeah there's no updated vbios for 4870M, just the 5870M, sorry about that. The OSD problem has me at a loss unfortunately. If you have done all the above and its still not working (you did try Dell GPU drivers right?) then you might want to give Dell a call and see what they can do if you still have warranty.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I don't have any alienware software installed at this moment either, I just installed Command Center once (it's been more than 2 years now), set lights' color and then I uninstalled the software. Touchpanel works, I just don't see any OSD icons popping up when I press them. That's fine with me as long as they are functional.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right after spending all night creating a Driver map and seeing "who talks to who" in the whole driver universe I came to the conclusion that nothing should be messing around with the way OSD reads and writes its scripts.

I did a little digging before systematically uninstalling everything one by one when all of a sudden I noticed somethings strange, I use TeamViewer to interconnect all my machines at home for monitoring purposes and for access away from home, its just a fancy Remote access tool but with a good looking GUI.....ANYWAY when I started playing with the Dell display driver I noticed that Teamviewer had installed its own display driver and called it a "Secondary Display Monitor" Now I thought it may have had something to do with my Crossfire setup first but when I tried to uninstall it I received a BSOD. Only starting in safemode with Team Viewer disabled allowed me to uninstall it and wouldn't you believe....the following boot my OSD is now working fine and touch controls are back (well they all worked except the brightness controls)

So it was this Team Viewer driver that was doing something to OSD, I have not seen any changes in Either of them for months and their update logs show this too, so why they have decided to fight now is a mystery, maybe that crash I had that took my cards out of Crossfire had something to do with it, unless that is another symptom :/

Anyway thanks for the help guys, It would appear that I have wasted your time with this but at least we know this problem can happen in the older R2's with Team Viewer

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

Interesting, I use TeamViewer extensively as well, never had an issue, but then again I had 5870s and now 7970s... so with previous generation cards it could cause problems...

Thanks for the heads up anyways and glad you sorted it out.

Right after spending all night creating a Driver map and seeing "who talks to who" in the whole driver universe I came to the conclusion that nothing should be messing around with the way OSD reads and writes its scripts.

I did a little digging before systematically uninstalling everything one by one when all of a sudden I noticed somethings strange, I use TeamViewer to interconnect all my machines at home for monitoring purposes and for access away from home, its just a fancy Remote access tool but with a good looking GUI.....ANYWAY when I started playing with the Dell display driver I noticed that Teamviewer had installed its own display driver and called it a "Secondary Display Monitor" Now I thought it may have had something to do with my Crossfire setup first but when I tried to uninstall it I received a BSOD. Only starting in safemode with Team Viewer disabled allowed me to uninstall it and wouldn't you believe....the following boot my OSD is now working fine and touch controls are back (well they all worked except the brightness controls)

So it was this Team Viewer driver that was doing something to OSD, I have not seen any changes in Either of them for months and their update logs show this too, so why they have decided to fight now is a mystery, maybe that crash I had that took my cards out of Crossfire had something to do with it, unless that is another symptom :/

Anyway thanks for the help guys, It would appear that I have wasted your time with this but at least we know this problem can happen in the older R2's with Team Viewer

I now remember the same issues on my R2 with 5870. I had teamviewer but after clean install i nevver put teamviewer back on so mahbe thats why a clean install fixed it for me. Nice detective work.

You didnt waste any of our time. We did like Edison found all the ways you cang fix it till you found the right way. Cheers and great job.