SSD & HDD....Keeping them both happy?

Adam Noble

Hi,

I have been running my Alienware M17x R2 with the Twin drives for almost a year now and it has been great. I have a 120GB SSD containing only the OS and a secondary 1TB HDD Partitioned into 3 x 300GB partitions. One contains only Games, One contains all Media (Music, Pictures and Videos) and the third contains Windows 8 at the minute for testing.

Since instillation I have had all the recommended system settings disabled such as superfetch and Defrag but I have only now realised that these keep the SSD healthy but not the HDD. Now I know I have not made things easy in partitioning the HDD into three but I was thinking is there any way if restoring superfetch and defrag but only on the HDD? It is being bogged down by fragmented data and killing performance in some cases.

What do you suggest?

I suggest a advanced deffragger thats just me. I use Diskeeper pro version which cost a bit to buy. But there are cheaper versions and also similar products to try. Perfect Disk is an alternative i have used. What you need is one just to defrag your standard drive. I use the Diskeeper ince it can prevent fragmentation with its own intelli-write algorithm. It will redirect writes to a places which is already considered the best file location. It even has a boost for SSD on the rare occasion a file move kn an SSD would be beneficial it will help sort the files without excessive writes so it doesn't reduce the lifespan of the SSD. It only moves whats necessary and has never reduced the performance of my drives only enhanced it. It pushes to have files where they need to be to increase your I/O transfers. It defrags on system idle but not just cpu based it wont bother yku if I/O or cpu is already busy. I like it since you can set every preference on a per drive basis and it has options to designate a drive as a SSD if it doesn't detect it as one in the first place.

There are many competitors and some free ones but I would look for a defrag software like that. Dont bother renabling the defrag service these defrag softwares work without that.

Diskeeper Overview: Increase System Speed, Performance & Reliability

Im sure there may be a free software which does similar and thats what o recommend. I left my system optimized for SSD still and it keot performance in check.

• Thumbs Up 1

That sound like exactly what I need :D I'm not bothered about paying, I have the trial activated now for Diskeeper and seeing a noticeable difference immediately and its not even finished :D Thanks again mw86

Your very welcome I love Diskeeper special treatment for SSD, Intelliwrite and much more to organize your files before they even get written to a slow area. Runs in background and doesnt bother your work. Make sure to click each drive and go throgh all options and advanced options. Theres more than one preventative defrag methods in it. Let me know what you think of latest version i still have a 2010 or 2011 version. Cheers bro!