GTX 580m from M17X in M15X...

loafer987

@svl7 or anyone else that can help... A member on Notebookreview is selling his GTX580M's from his M17X and I was thinking one of them would be nice to throw in my M15X. I have the 5850m right now and its decent but even diablo 3 doesn't run as nicely as I would like even with my 1600x900 screen. I am quite happy with my laptop but I figure if the 580M is cheap and someone smarter than I am can throw me a modded vbios to make it work I might as well give it a try.

I'm only into my M15X for 700$ CDN so far but maybe its not worth it I don't know.

All advice and input welcome.

Current specs

i7 720QM

16GB DDR1333 9-9-9-24

240gb Corsair Force 3 SSD

Radeon 5850M 1GB @ 730/1040

Bad idea, the voltage supply circuits of the M15x mobo are too weak, you'll need to modifiy the vbios in order to make it run at 3d clocks, and it will only work when undervolted... and some games may not be stable at undervolted settings.

Better get a 7970m, though they're more expensive (but also more powerful).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...