USB issues

Of course its possible to DJ etc. with the M14x R2 i posted a workaround in another forum. But uninstalling the USB 3.0 controller drivers degrates all ports to 2.0 ports which is very slow and outdated. The same works for MBRs but its not uninstalling drivers. You have to revert the OSX to an older version where no USB 3.0 drivers were integrated with the same result that you have only 2.0 speed on all ports.

At least you can use the M14x R2 or the MBR then for DJing and stuff but the data transfer is as slow as 4 years ago before the i cores were published. It should be a shame for every brand that this simple issue cant be solved and we are forced using 4 years old data transfer speed.

You wrote OSX that is why Frank asked you about it. It was obviously your typo. Typos are accidents and i make plenty of em just read some of my pots while im on my Galaxy S3... Im glad at this point in the conversation the air has been cleared. Perhaps Brian made a good point. If there is no way to add proper USB3 hardware perhaps you should abandon M14x R2 in pursuit of the best mobile DJ laptop out there. Of course that would mean finding a solution for the M14x R2 is likely not going to happen. For that I am sorry your system is incapable of proper USB3 use. Frank just suggested trying the new bios but as you know he has limited resources on this issue and can only suggest things to try. My best wishes. I hope it all works out. Perhaps you would look into a system exchange or something... I dont know if thats on the table. I know the other Ivy models dont have the usb3 issue leaving portability the only prob if you went to a different model than the M14x. In any case good luck with your endeavors.

You wrote OSX that is why Frank asked you about it. It was obviously your typo. Typos are accidents and i make plenty of em just read some of my pots while im on my Galaxy S3... Im glad at this point in the conversation the air has been cleared. Perhaps Brian made a good point. If there is no way to add proper USB3 hardware perhaps you should abandon M14x R2 in pursuit of the best mobile DJ laptop out there. Of course that would mean finding a solution for the M14x R2 is likely not going to happen. For that I am sorry your system is incapable of proper USB3 use. Frank just suggested trying the new bios but as you know he has limited resources on this issue and can only suggest things to try. My best wishes. I hope it all works out. Perhaps you would look into a system exchange or something... I dont know if thats on the table. I know the other Ivy models dont have the usb3 issue leaving portability the only prob if you went to a different model than the M14x. In any case good luck with your endeavors.

Hi mw86 and thanks for your presence here :).

The bios Frank posted is not new its the same bios version my M14x R2 was delivered 1 and a half months ago. And i didnt typo i only wanted to explain that not only Alienware users are having issues but also other brands like Apple or Asus or MSI. In fact every brand does have the exact same problem of not working isochronous streaming capabilitys with their new Ivy Bridge systems.

That means Intels backwards compatibility with USB 2.0 is not true at the moment since USB 2.0 drivers are working with isochronous streaming devices but not their USB 3.0 Panther Point drivers. The exact same issue had the older Sandy Bridge Cougar Point but Dell integrated cause of that a seperate Controller from a 3rd party company so USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 was working with previous models.

And about other solutions, yes i have a M14x R1 as well which im forced to use now for music related things. My original plan was to sell it and only use the M14x R2 for everything but thats not possible as long as there is this driver issue with the USB ports. Maybe you understand now my frustration. I cant settle completly on my new bought system cause of this little problem and also cant sell my old one.

This is a problem for alot of Mac Users too as you can see in dozens of other forums. Since there are not as many Alienware users but Mac users i wanted to point to this so more people understand that its a Ivy Bridge related issue and not a solo problem of me.

About the Bios, yes for some reason it is not updated... I'll clear that out with LV3

Any news from your LV3 request [MENTION=4186]Alienware-Frank_L[/MENTION]? Its 1 week ago you wanted to clear that out.

Guest Alienware-Luis_Pardo

The bios Frank posted is not new its the same bios version my M14x R2 was delivered 1 and a half months ago.

Yes, the BIOS was released for M14x R2s that were purchased before it came out, so it's actually not a new BIOS. We will have to wait for another release to come but I can't promise it's going to be specifically for that.