Problem!

MrFlibble

Hello Guys,

Firstly i wouldnt normally post a thread of this type, but im in a bit of a situation as it where.

Oh and hello, been browsing these forums for a while now, Do you all like tea? I certainly do.

I've recently purchased an m17X R2 on the uk dell website, here in the uk the only screen option available for the R2 is the rather poor 1440 x 900 LCD. (cross fire 5870 etc)

Even though i knew this at time of purchase, when i got the laptop i was really dissapointed in the resolution, so much so that i've asked to return it.

A dell Customer rep gave me a quote offering to sell me a R3 with the 2720QM and the 6970 for about £100 more than i paid for the R2.

I know opinion is entirely subjective, but i'm really struggling with the decision on which to go for. I absolutly love the build quality of the R2 and the x 5870's, but the screen is really bothering me. Upon some reports i'm also worried about the build quality of the R3.

Also, i have one hour to decide which to keep. (last day to return is today) Thats kind of why i'm wondering if someone on here will have a decisive word that will help me make a decision, because right now i'm struggling!

• Founder

In terms of performance, unless you have an extreme CPU on your R2, the R3 you've been offered will outperform the R2. The 6970M will do really well in games so unless you plan to heavily overclock the 5870s you won't notice a difference either, the benefit of having a lighter laptop with more battery life and the option to switch on the fly between discrete and dedicated GPUs is another point that favors the R3. About the building quality it's something that you will have to take your chances since nobody so far has is that long to tell what happened. Just make sure that you've been offered the 1080p display...

Thanks for the reply, I was going to grab a 920 off ebay, if keeping the laptop. I guess i'm kind of leaning towards the R3, thanks very much for responding on a subject your no doubt rather tired of. Oh yes, i made sure the 1080p screen is on there :D Whats with the downgrade from 1200 p these days anyway. Everyones doing it.

• Founder

No not me, I cannot downgrade to 1080p unfortunately, those 120p are very important ( even if the R3 screen was RGB LED, that's another reason I stick with the R2). But yeah given your situation with the screen, an upgrade would be very expensive so you are better off with the R3 for that price.

welcome to the forum btw :)

I dont blame you, Yep. It seems the RGB LED is just about as common as a usefull frenchman. no offense to anyone! Thanks for your comments, you've probably helped me make my mind up, i'll just miss the anodised shell..Although i guess it would be criminal to keep a lapop of this price entirely on the basis that it looks cool. Thankyou! cant wait till i no longer have to deal with dell customer service, every second talking to their reps has been extreme agony to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Hello Guys,

Firstly i wouldnt normally post a thread of this type, but im in a bit of a situation as it where.

Oh and hello, been browsing these forums for a while now, Do you all like tea? I certainly do.

I've recently purchased an m17X R2 on the uk dell website, here in the uk the only screen option available for the R2 is the rather poor 1440 x 900 LCD. (cross fire 5870 etc)

Even though i knew this at time of purchase, when i got the laptop i was really dissapointed in the resolution, so much so that i've asked to return it.

A dell Customer rep gave me a quote offering to sell me a R3 with the 2720QM and the 6970 for about £100 more than i paid for the R2.

I know opinion is entirely subjective, but i'm really struggling with the decision on which to go for. I absolutly love the build quality of the R2 and the x 5870's, but the screen is really bothering me. Upon some reports i'm also worried about the build quality of the R3.

Also, i have one hour to decide which to keep. (last day to return is today) Thats kind of why i'm wondering if someone on here will have a decisive word that will help me make a decision, because right now i'm struggling!

I'll make the decision easy for you and keep it short and sweet: Return the R2 and grab the R3. The WLED in the R3 will destroy that sorry excuse for a display in your R2 and the 6970M comes close to matching 5870m xfire in benchmarks while in some games, it plays a lot smoother despite registering lower benchmark scores. The build quality doesn't equal R2 and nobody ever expected it to, however it is still a well built and rounded system. I think you will really like it. Welcome to Tech|Inferno and glad you finally registered.

Haha, well i guess i've been told : D.

Thanks both for the comments, I just needed a push in the right direction. We brits arnt the most decisive of peoples. We start ingesting massive quantities of alchohol from an early age you see. Looking forward to your review of the R3 Brian, Get a move on with it aye? :D

• Founder
No not me, I cannot downgrade to 1080p unfortunately, those 120p are very important ( even if the R3 screen was RGB LED, that's another reason I stick with the R2). But yeah given your situation with the screen, an upgrade would be very expensive so you are better off with the R3 for that price.

welcome to the forum btw :)

I have a feeling you are going to be stuck with the R2 till the end of time unfortunately...

Oh, and MrFlibble, welcome to our forum! We're glad to have you whatever you decide ;)

• Founder

hahahah, i am still in love with the m1730, it's a great machine.

My wife uses it now, and i too, wait for the R3 to arrive. Should be here this week, btw, how much did you pay for the R3 and what are the exact specs (if it's not a secret) ?

No of course not, hope you dont mind a bita copy paste:

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2820QM (2.30Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

2GB GDDR5 AMD® Radeon™ HD 6970M w/ PowerXpress

17.3" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

8192MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x4096]

Blu-Ray ROM Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read and write) Drive

320GB (7,200rpm) SATA Hard Drive

Intel Wireless LAN 6300 3x3 (802.11a/b/g/n) Card - EUR

That lot came to £2450.99 after taxes. I was just gonna go with the 2630qm and upgrade to xm, but dell have discounted all their systems yesterday, so i thought why not!

as far as i know, prices here in the UK are quite inflated... :/

I think you gave in an ordered the R3 too didnt you?

• Founder

Yes i did, and while i live in Israel i perfer to make my Dell purchases via Dell US, because as you say the prices are quite inflated in Europe and in here too.

I've got a thread detailing how i do just that.

For comparison, i build the same config as yours minus the 2820 cpu, i took the 2630, and my price after taxes was 2150$ including a razer orochi mouse.

Sure, i still have a 80-100$ shipping to Israel plus 16% VAT when it enters Israel, but it's still less than 2500$ after all is said and done.

Cheaper, right ?

• Founder

Yes i did, and while i live in Israel i perfer to make my Dell purchases via Dell US, because as you say the prices are quite inflated in Europe and in here too.

I've got a thread detailing how i do just that.

For comparison, i build the same config as yours minus the 2820 cpu, i took the 2630, and my price after taxes was 2150$ including a razer orochi mouse.

Sure, i still have a 80-100$ shipping to Israel plus 16% VAT when it enters Israel, but it's still less than 2500$ after all is said and done.

Cheaper, right ?

Nice one! I think working if i'd have taken the 2630 i'd have payed around 2100. but doing it your way i'd have payed around £1750-1800 after shipping and taxes. Thats a considerable amount and worth the effort! Hmmm, wish i'd have known about it before lol! You know what, i'll have to do that when the M18x comes out, if it comes out. ever. One of my works collegues just suggested i should have gone with a macbook pro instead... So Ive just buried his corpse. :)