Screen brightness problem, almost constant Dim?

Just when i thought i had sweet talked my R2 into a very sweet and harmonious relationship it would appear that i have something wrong with the brightness on Rig. Turned it on this morning for some updates and blogging and everything was great but then it went into sleep while went for a walk (not with the R2 of course) and upon waking it up it would appear that it will not achieve max brightness? everything shows as on max brightness, i am om max performance and everything everywhere shows as the screen brightness is maxed out :(

I tried some gaming later in the morning but the screen brightness was so poor i had to increase the Gamma and brightness just to see anything in the sun :(

Anyone got any ideas?

• Founder

If you press Fn+F5 a couple of times to set brightness to the lowest and then press Fn+F4 to increase it all the way up does it make any difference or does it stay at the same low level?

If you press Fn+F5 a couple of times to set brightness to the lowest and then press Fn+F4 to increase it all the way up does it make any difference or does it stay at the same low level?

When I use Fn+F5 to reduce the brightness it decreases in very small increments, then when I use Fn+F4 to increase it again it increases in small increments back to Max on the brightness icon but the screen is still quite dull. I have tried restarting and everything but no luck and whats even stranger is just 10 minutes ago i woke it from a Screen off standby and for a split second the brightness was maxed out like it should be and very bright but then it dropped again to the normal dull level it is now :(

If you boot into safe mode the brightness remains at the same low level?

Now that is strange, when i boot into safe mode the brightness is as it should be :upset: Very bright and vibrant. So this means the problem lies with some sort of software error? only activated in a normal boot.

Thanks for the help StamatisX, you would not believe but seconds after writing my last post i came out of Safe Mode to try the driver uninstall and my God Damn SSD failed on me :( it has taken me this long to get my baby back to a some what "working" state :/ tried everything to get the SSD working but from what i can see it has a Boot Config corruption that i cannot seem to fix :/ looks like its back to the drawing board :(

bad luck indeed :/ lucky for me my secondary HDD had a 150Gb backup partition that now houses a copy of a working....yet naked OS ;) so i am now able to backup the defective drive before testing to see if it is a hardware or software fault :/ Either way i was due a fresh install of windows anyway AND this wraps up the screen brightness problem :)

yeah weird may I suggest trying this in the future? Perhaps your sleep mode is acting faulty like mine and another notebook was on Windows 7. I would resume from sleep to only go to a black screen a lot of the time. Here is the fix. Enable "Hybrid Sleep" see if that in the future prevents the dim issue in the future.

post-34-1449499321949_thumb.png

yeah weird may I suggest trying this in the future? Perhaps your sleep mode is acting faulty like mine and another notebook was on Windows 7. I would resume from sleep to only go to a black screen a lot of the time. Here is the fix. Enable "Hybrid Sleep" see if that in the future prevents the dim issue in the future.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4250[/ATTACH]

Awesome, i am just about to finish my secondary backup before trying to restore to an external drive and if it works i will need to implement this ASAP because that dimming issue was becoming a real PITA (-_-)

Thanks guys

You would not believe it....The recovery disks that came with my R2 are both wrecked 0_0 the drivers CD was a failed write and contains nothing and the OS recovery DVD contains a 32bit version of ultimate not the 64bit needed, this means i am now stuck on a 32bit OS and cant install most of the Alienware suite :(could things get any worse (-_-)

Oh well it does......Was on the phone for like 2 hours today to dell asking if i could have replacement disks for both OS and Drivers, they asked for my service tag before saying that they do not ship systems with those disks......then after an argument they said they would ship them but i would need to pay.......then after yet another argument they are claiming that my system shipped with a 32bit version of ultimate even though Alien command centre, the program that controls one of the key features of the alienware line...THE ALIENFX...requires a 64bit platform :S

Does anyone have an alienware with a 32bit OS installed?

call Dell and tell them that the dvds look fine but are not reading at all and that you were given the rong OS disk. Don't say it broke explain it's their fault and need to replace your disks asap at no cost to you. Stay calm, stick to your guns and don't take no but maintain a calm tone :) good luck. I'm sorry of that issue I hope you can get somewhere by doing that.

call Dell and tell them that the dvds look fine but are not reading at all and that you were given the rong OS disk. Don't say it broke explain it's their fault and need to replace your disks asap at no cost to you. Stay calm, stick to your guns and don't take no but maintain a calm tone :) good luck. I'm sorry of that issue I hope you can get somewhere by doing that.

Sounds good, i have to admit once they started saying i was not going to get anything i got a little agitated, tomorrow i am going to settle down and hold my ground for as long as it takes, thanks for the tactic mw86 i will report back when i have things settled.

Thanks again.

Extra tactic is this. Don't get off the phone even if it's hours. As time goes on the big head honchos will notice that they have a large issue on their hands. They are not allowed to hang up and if you say they haven't taken care of the issue they can't end the support call. When they say stuff like no, say that's not acceptable and firmly ask to speak to a manager. You will get somewhere following this. They will put you on hold, they will say there is no manager available... It's a lie... Again stick to your story and say no you are not taking care of the issue you require to speak to whomever they report to.

Worst case scenario you never get there or get there with same answer. Then still you aren't lost for hope. Then you explain they are not supporting their product and you will be making a report to the BBB if stating that don't help. You should go ahead and and make a report if they won't comply and you will be contacted in day or so either by Dell or BBB and they should be stumbling over their feet to help you then as they will face legal issues if they don't from there.

Right an update, i followed your advice and everything was going fine for about 2 hours, they took my details and confirmed that my system shipped with 64bit ultimate and that the disks must be faulty if they do not run or complete any actions, they even took my address confirming from the shipping address from the initial purchase but just before anything was finished they said they ask their manager for a confirmation and then they said they would get back to me within 24 hours :S ......... What just happened?

that will be fine moment its over 24 hours give em more hell! if they don't agree this time and overnight you the disks... persue the BBB to make a complaint.... but do give them 24hours and do call back as soon as it has been and get an answwer then... like I said if no say that is not acceptable and tell them you will speak to the Better Buisness Bureau if saying so still didn't help... then go through with it and make a complaint officially. They will be sure to be back to you then or they will suffer legal repurcusions. Good liuck my friend. [MENTION=1692]Adam Noble[/MENTION]

that will be fine moment its over 24 hours give em more hell! if they don't agree this time and overnight you the disks... persue the BBB to make a complaint.... but do give them 24hours and do call back as soon as it has been and get an answwer then... like I said if no say that is not acceptable and tell them you will speak to the Better Buisness Bureau if saying so still didn't help... then go through with it and make a complaint officially. They will be sure to be back to you then or they will suffer legal repurcusions. Good liuck my friend. @Adam Noble

Well i don't understand them sometimes but the job gets done, once their 24 hours was up i called and got the "we have no record of that conversation sir" so i calmly explained that was going to happen and that they would be reported for this, im not asking for free parts or a new system just the disks that SHOULD have come with my system. I explained that had previously happened and when she asked if i would like her to look into the problem i said no thanks and ended the call. The next day i went to my friends to grab a copy of his reinstall media and when i got back.......BAM i had a delivery and wouldn't you know it was my recovery disks, a mouse mat AND a money off voucher for the alienware suite (0_0) must have really spooked someone high up to have been sent a goody bad for a problem that apparently "doesn't exist"

Looks like i can finally start rebuilding my baby's brain :) in all honesty she was due a fresh install anyway ;) Thanks for all you help in this guys especially the tips on how to handle it all mw86, you guys should be on the alienware payroll ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the kind words Adam, you are welcome. I am glad it finally worked out after all. It is a shame it came to that... but its good to see where you are now. We run on coffee and good will :) lol but if Alienware wants to donate to Tech Inferno's server costs in any way. Feel free ;)