M14X Performance drop running on Battery.

Hi,

I've already followed all the steps stated in other threads, after doing a serch.

The issue: As soon as I unplug the AC the performance drops dramatically (during SFIV benchmark goes from 100+fps to 25fps).

Tried:

- Changed energy settings in AlienFusion (High performance > Advanced > Graphics processor : Max performance on both AC and Batt).

- Changed energy settings in Windows Control Panel (High performance plan > Advanced > GPU Power state : Max Performance).

- Changed Global Settings in Nvidia Control Panel: Power management mode > Prefer maximum performance.

- Updated BIOS to unlocked A08 and disabled Intel Speedstep, but I can't find any other values that I should change.

Is there any other thing that I could try?

(PS: Sorry about any spelling mistakes, English is not my first language)

The challenge phoenix is that any bios besides A01 puts your (GPU speed) into a mobile mode and it severely downclocks it. What you can "try" to do is to see if the unlocked A08 allows you to manually clock the GPU on battery mode to something like 400/800/800.. Which is a more sensible clock speed on battery. I wish you the best of luck. the newer models of the m14x will not be able to utilize the older bios (example A01 or A03). Best wishes, StevenX

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...
The challenge phoenix is that any bios besides A01 puts your (GPU speed) into a mobile mode and it severely downclocks it. What you can "try" to do is to see if the unlocked A08 allows you to manually clock the GPU on battery mode to something like 400/800/800.. Which is a more sensible clock speed on battery. I wish you the best of luck. the newer models of the m14x will not be able to utilize the older bios (example A01 or A03). Best wishes, StevenX

I confirm your theory; Using the A08 modified bios, and I can have the BIOS hold values by setting it manually. Just be careful while you are gaming/etc on just battery with something like this set, as your battery will drain faster; Hence, why this feature exists.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware of the battery drain with the full performance, it's just that sometimes i'd rather have full performance for 30 min during my conmute, than not being able to have a playable experience... I can plug the laptop before and after to charge.