Is the SD reader in the R2 really this slow?

G8GT

So.. I have a nice fancy 32GB class 10 45mb/s sandisk card for the hero2. When i popped it into the R2 I noted that moving the 4GB video I had just taken was crawling at ~ 7-10mb/s.

Is this thing really that slow? I sort of assumed that my mutli-thousand dollar laptop had a card reader that could read/write faster than at walmart grade class 4 speeds.

I'm afraid it really is... I recently just realized this, almost forgot it since I always used a cable to connect my cam. The transfer in my M15x starts at only > 10MB/s and drops quickly to about 4MB/s... horrible.

I think the manufacturer is Ricoh, I'll check for a more recent driver. I really think it's a driver issue.

it would make sense that it's something trifling like a driver issue. Clearly in some cases I can get very near the advertised speed, and yet in other's it will crawl. Mine also will burst high and will continue to trickle down. Going from the SD to the SSD it can be as high as 200+mb/s, but it'll finish out at 20. Yet when going the other way, it's a constant 10-11.5mb/s. I'd use the cable for the Hero2, but it's even worse, I think it must have a USB 1.1 controller or something, it snails along at 2.5-3mb/s

Edited by G8GT

You know what's interesting also?

The label on this thing clearly says 45mb/s. So did the packaging. Yet, Sandisk doesn't sell a 45mb/s U1 SD card, those speeds are reserved for their 64 and 128GB cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

I once wanted to use a large fast SD card for a windows ready boost cache... Epic fail my USB flash was a better bet :| better yet esata or usb3 @ 5 and 6gbps :) interface

I had an M17x R2 and have a M18x R1 and they all seem to be same basic "walmart reader" :| sucks for sure