Will an M17X R4 turn on with new video card but no new drivers?

james24680

Hey everyone,

I have an M17X R4 (i7-3610qm version) with several parts missing including the screen and video card. I tried turning this on to test it but got the 8 beeps error. My questions are:

1) Should it turn on with a screen installed but no graphics card plugged in and run the integrated intel graphics, or would I still get 8 beeps?

2) I don't know what graphics card this had previously and I have read that whenever you change the graphics card you need to update the drivers before changing the card. Is there any card that would definitely work without changing the drivers? I was hoping to get a 460m to begin with.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

1. That depends if you changed any bios settings such as setting video display to PEG, if you did that then it won't boot from the intel gpu. If you have the standard bios and 60hz screen, it should boot fine without a graphics card. If that doesn't work you might wanna try a bios flush, remove the cmos battery, hold the power button for like 30 secs, put the cmos battery back in and hold esc or f2 to reset the bios.

2. A laptop or pc should always POST (power-on-self-test) and boot even if it doesn't have drivers installed. Even if you have AMD drivers when installing an NVIDIA card it should still boot.