Unplayable level of FPS after format

Leo14

Long story short, having issues getting FPS to hover where it once did, sits around 10 or so now, I'm not sure where I should start but I've run out of options and I've been at this for too damn long

M17x r3 HDD is 6 years old - my thoughts it's finally had enough and that's my issue ( unsure )

680m with 382.33 from may I believe, had the most recent installed, not as bad as now but still, 10 FPS and unplayable. Had upgraded to windows 10, drivers never installed or worked properly at all when it did install once, re formatted back to windows 7 with cd from purchase, now nothing runs as close to what it once did

I've checked updates/drivers for mobo, direct x, bios is set to peg, audio drivers, windows updates, prefer max performance

Could it be my ac adapter? vBios?

Temps from what I've seen are fine, I've let it run for a while with a game open while getting under 20'fps, minimized st 6fps to check CPU and gpu temps both were under 60 Celsius.

I'm lost here, if anyone has insight or could just even give me something else to try it would be very much so appreciated. I've been struggling for days with this and I know the damn thing is capable of running at least a few of these games with at least 60 FPS, 40 even would be acceptable for those that I expect 60+

Sorry for the lengthy messy post, I'm stressing and struggling to get this going again. New PC isn't in question yet.. though I am saving towards it