Late-2014 Mac Mini + GTX960@16Gbps-TB2 (Rocketstor 6361a) + OSX10.11.6 [jake96]

Here is my eGPU build with Rocketstor 6361a over thunderbolt!

Guide:

Removed outer shell of Chassis, and bent the chassis slightly to fit in a Asus Strix GTX 960

Pulled out the original molex connectors and connected my own 550w PSU Molex connectors.

Inserted GPU into PCIe x16 slot, insert PCIE 6 pin connector to top of eGPU, and insert HDMI connection from eGPU to tv, and thunderbolt cable from chassis to Mac Mini thunderbolt 2 port.

Do the paperclip trick, bent paperclip to fit into green and neighbouring black wire holes in 20+4 pin PSU connector, to get PSU started without motherboard.

Start up PSU and turn on Mac Mini.

Ensure that Rocketstor is Detected.

Once it is detected, i rebooted into recovery boot and disabled CSRUTIL from terminal with csrutil disable.

Rebooted mac again and ran Goalque’s AUTOMATE-EGPU.sh with sudo from terminal.app.

Pressed “y” every time terminal asked for it.

Rebooted Mac Mini, and needed to enable NVIDIA Web Driver since eGPU was only listed as “PCIe GPU” in system information under Graphics/Displays.

After set to NVIDIA Web Driver, rebooted and VOILA!!

Could barely run Borderlands 2 and Tomb Raider 2013 on Intel HD 5000 at 720p which is pretty filthy, but what do you expect with HD 5000 eh?

Now can run both games swiftly at 1080p with high to ultra at really good fps. This was done in OS X El Capitan, I’m looking forward to running some sort of VM with PCI Passthrough soon.

My eGPU Build Over thunderbolt 2 with HighPoint Rocketstor 6361a.

Top of Setup.jpg

Molex.jpg

PaperClip Trick.jpg

GPU Is installed.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Late-2014 Mac Mini + GTX960@16Gbps-TB2 (Rocketstor 6361a) + OSX10.11.6 [jake96]

Update:

I am now playing Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider 2013 and Bioshock Infinite at 1600p maxed out in 10.11.6. This i am achieving by using DisableMonitor.app application, and disabling intel HD 5000 display output, and setting GTX 960 display output to 1600p manually. I would go even high resolution but i can’t go any higher than 1600p unfortunately. This does make my 10.11.6 desktop look very non clear to view, but when i am not gaming i set resolution back to 1080p. Certainly did not expect this performance from Mac with OpenGL, simply outstanding!!

• Thumbs Up 1