5k iMac (late 2015) eGPU problem

dan273

Hi everyone,

I am new to eGPU's over thunderbolt and having some trouble to get it work well.

The card gets fully recognized in the system report, but whenever I open a program like Davinci Resolve or Adobe I get a message that no cuda acceleration hardware was found. 

I installed it with the automate-eGPU.sh script.

Here the specs of my system:

5k iMac (late 2015)

4.0GHz i7

64 GB memory

AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB

OSX Sierra 10.12

eGPU

Bizonbox2

EVGA Titan X 12GB

I reinstalled it multiple times, I also tried the installer package from Bizon, but then the card only shows up as a Nvidia card, but not specified and then it won't get recognized by those programs either. So far nothing worked. 

If anyone has a clue what I need to do please let me know.

Thank You

Hi,

I have the Bizon box 2 but with a macbook pro late 2015. The system is not stable although it does work.

From Bizon I see this...

iMac 5K Late–2015 (AMD Radeon R9 configurations only)
OS X: No external display output. Able to work as a CUDA accelerator (Adobe Premiere: up to 6X performance boost).
Windows: Graphics card detected issues (error 12).

If you bought the box from Bizon then just contact technical support, they are extremely good and very helpful (IMHO).

On 10/1/2016 at 1:15 AM, dan273 said:

I reinstalled it multiple times, I also tried the installer package from Bizon, but then the card only shows up as a Nvidia card, but not specified

Looks good. They are not allowed to distribute my script for macOS Sierra.

1 hour ago, normansdog said:

Hi,

I have the Bizon box 2 but with a macbook pro late 2015. The system is not stable although it does work.

I’m curious, what’s your system version?

3 hours ago, normansdog said:

Hi,

From Bizon I see this...

Hello dear, i have MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and i would want to know if these enclosures (akitio2 or bizon2) have USUALLY/OFTEN some problems or it depends only from LUCK.

I would want to buy it and plugin a gtx980, because now we can find a 970 around 200-230 euros. Also, maybe i will buy a new iMac 2016 (if they come out, around november) and use this extra power eGPU

Edited by taradda13

On 03/10/2016 at 7:00 PM, goalque said:

Looks good. They are not allowed to distribute my script for macOS Sierra.

I’m curious, what’s your system version?

sorry - I am not sure what you mean by "System version"? Bizon or Mac or...?

23 hours ago, taradda13 said:

Hello dear, i have MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) and i would want to know if these enclosures (akitio2 or bizon2) have USUALLY/OFTEN some problems or it depends only from LUCK.

I would want to buy it and plugin a gtx980, because now we can find a 970 around 200-230 euros. Also, maybe i will buy a new iMac 2016 (if they come out, around november) and use this extra power eGPU

Hi,

I have the same hardware (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015 + 970) and Bizon say that is this not stable which I can confirm.

As I say, it works fairly reliably on OSX but Windows has been tricky. When it boots then it works fine, but it has been tricky to get it to boot reliably. Some seem to have managed it, I am still working on it. On balance it was worth the effort and money, but you have to expect some problems.

Just now, goalque said:

Your Mac operating system version.

2.7GHz i5 8GB

1 hour ago, goalque said:

In that case, no problem. @dan273 is running 10.12.

Hi,

I discovered this forum via the link from the Bizon site, and have in the last hour read a lot of fairly strong criticism of Bizon and the product. I would just say that setting up a business requires a lot of determination and effort which should be applauded rather than criticised. I run an engineering business and technology is only 20% of the product, the rest is organisation, structure, money, sales, luck and sheer determination.

Why not look at Bizon as an opportunity, if you can develop software that will make the eGPU run reliably with Mac hardware  then just do it and I for one would be happy to buy it from you. I am an electronics engineer but I do not have the time to delve into the depthd of drivers for all of this hardware, and I would be more than happy to pay money to avoid having to spend the next 6 weekends 12 hours a day learning how Thunderbolt works with every possible version of Windows and mac osx. 

So, people like you do the software, people like Bizon set up the business and people like me with money but no time, buy it.

Thanks for the work so far, I hope you continue!

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, normansdog said:

Hi,

I discovered this forum via the link from the Bizon site, and have in the last hour read a lot of fairly strong criticism of Bizon and the product. I would just say that setting up a business requires a lot of determination and effort which should be applauded rather than criticised. I run an engineering business and technology is only 20% of the product, the rest is organisation, structure, money, sales, luck and sheer determination.

Why not look at Bizon as an opportunity, if you can develop software that will make the eGPU run reliably with Mac hardware  then just do it and I for one would be happy to buy it from you. I am an electronics engineer but I do not have the time to delve into the depthd of drivers for all of this hardware, and I would be more than happy to pay money to avoid having to spend the next 6 weekends 12 hours a day learning how Thunderbolt works with every possible version of Windows and mac osx. 

So, people like you do the software, people like Bizon set up the business and people like me with money but no time, buy it.

Thanks for the work so far, I hope you continue!

Bizon has chosen a shady, terribly risky way of making money by selling products that violate Intel’s certification requirements. Furthermore, the script modifies Apple’s kext files. AFAIK, it’s illegal to sell hacks.

Soon after the release of my script, small startup companies started popping out. Bizon, Bullbox, Wolfe. Only the Bizon has somewhat survived. They took the MIT license literally, forgot the rules of Thunderbolt technology and Apple’s SLA. The new license is the last nail in the coffin. I see some light in the tunnel of EFI approach.

4 minutes ago, goalque said:

Bizon has chosen a shady, terribly risky way of making money by selling products that violate Intel’s certification requirements. Furthermore, the script modifies Apple’s kext files. AFAIK, it’s illegal to sell hacks.

Soon after the release of my script, small startup companies started popping out. Bizon, Bullbox, Wolfe. Only the Bizon has somewhat survived. They took the MIT license literally, forgot the rules of Thunderbolt technology and Apple’s SLA. The new license is the last nail in the coffin. I see some light in the tunnel of EFI approach.

I hope that the development continues - just remember DOS was mostly bought for nothing by Gates made into a royalty fortune - Gates then proceeded to lobby for software patents in order to pull up the ladder behind him. Death of innovation.

2 hours ago, goalque said:

Soon after the release of my script, small startup companies started popping out. Bizon, Bullbox, Wolfe. 

Ok dear, maybe Wolfe is that project on kickstart, maybe (that it be closed/banned)? ....by the way, why banned ?!?!?

Now i m wondering why :

1-Are you the only1 user/developer creates the script?

2-Is this script licensed or is opensource?

3- why you do not work or co-work with a big(est) company (LOL) ?

4 - Are you interested to work and paid for create a real device that works well?

5 - Why you, (if the script is private) do not start project on kickstart or similar 

i have a customer that creates a lot of kind of electronics, they sell big quantity all over the world, here in Italy.

++++++ AND FINALLY, but must important, some1 spoke about """"Only Apple can build something works perfect"""" (because they are too big company etc, they have money,time and developers).... i think Apple do not create NEVER a device that allow to BOOOOOST with an external eGPU.... You have to buy a new machine,new Mac..... MONEEEEYYYYY

Sorry, i m too curious for this device!!! I m looking for answers for years, and now, with thunderbolt2 maybe we can find a good way for the eGPU!!

Edited by taradda13