I'm going Green; what to expect?

daveh98

Well I have been out of the loop for awhile. After having a CS experience that put a horrible taste in my mouth, it looks like I will be getting a replacement assembly for 2 580m SLI cards. I know a few people here are running 580s from 6970/6990 and what type of gaming experience are you having? I never read much on the throttling and don't really know what type of issues people are having with the 580s but am gladly taking the replacement that was kindly offered to me. I have done so much benching with the AMD solution, that I will know very well what the performance increase is for:

Crysis

Crysis 2

BF3

L4D2 (won't matter as it already gets stupid FPS)

Metro2033

Seems like this will definitely ride me out until I need to upgrade to a new machine. I will update everyone when I am fully up and running and will also probably give Kudos to Dell and specifically Bill for handling my case independently. I can just advise anyone to keep outstanding and clear emails and contacts when dealing with a CS specific issue. I have bought my fair share of computers through the years and I am a firm believer that resolutions should not be exclusive to hardware specific issues. However, when trying to deal with rep mistakes (i.e, no followup, cancelled orders due to poor case management, refund problems with DPA, etc) you MUST keep very good track record and emails. When a rep sells you something and then doesn't followup with questions and you have a "paper trail" then you should be compensated for horrible case management. Thankfully, some discretion can be used to ameliorate some of the problems if you talk to the right person.

So again....Going GREEN baby!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Congrats dave, i'm still waiting on my 580M replacements to show up before I can comment on the differences. I opted not to ask for a new system (yet) since this one is flawless and I don't want to deal with the headache of parting out systems again. They're sending me 580Ms to put in myself which is the best solution in my case. Anyway, what's your ETA on the new system?

Hey Brian,

The ETA says 11/22/11 but I never trust those when there is a known backlog. I would assume I am pretty far down the list as there are many people waiting. Is this a simple swap? It looks like I am getting the entire assembly. I also am glad to keep my original system. Fit and finish was top notch and I already did the fresh format of windows and really dread going through not only that but transferring data. Also, what is going on with throttling? I have zero plans to overclock and undervolt for benches. These cards are stupid fast for 1080p gaming. However, it would suck if there are temp issues and throttling issues as the 6970s truly are rock solid cards.

• Founder

I think since you are getting a new system, it'll arrive pretty soon. The backlog only applies to the service channel and not new builds. Yeah its a fairly simple swap if you know how to disassemble an M18x. I have no reason at all to want a new factory system since it wouldn't benefit me in any way and just end up wasting Dell's money and time. The 580Ms used to throttle but with the newest vbios on Dell's site (which yours may already have flashed) it doesn't happen as much. There are community made vbios's for 580M that eliminate it altogether.

Nice Dave congrats on going green. Nvidia offering is quite powerful. Seems like soon i'll be the only one with m18x w/6970m... which i could get em swapped.... would cost an arm and leg though.

What to expect? 580M SLI's performance is outstanding. This thing can chew on anything, literally. You may want to use a moddified vbios making performance levels p0 and p1 equal. This along with 285.62+ drivers will make the infamous throttle problem disappear almost completely. You can find a neat list of modded bioses in here. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Edited by 0x29A
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • Founder
Still Waiting....Brian did you get yours?

Hey Dave yeah I got a replacement system a few weeks ago. I convinced them it would be faster and I guess I was right.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Dave your still waiting gpus that sucks. I know they are low on many gpus.... Mine is at depot for repair of there's one thing wrong when it's back I am pushing for 580 let them sort out the Amd trouble.